Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hav a 2001 zx3 and i need to install a short shifter...anyone has ever done that b4? anyone knows how to do it?
i realy dont kno how to do that..ive seen a post in this website but it was for a 2008..
anything will help me really lol
thanks

·
Registered
349 Posts
Try browsing through the Complete 'How To' Archive
I'd be more specific but I figure by looking through the list you can spot another helpful mod.

·
Registered
122 Posts
it should be in the how to section. if not u remove the boot(just pull up) there are four tork bits holding on a black plate, remove them, push a socket bit into the black clip on the left side which is holding...something in place(sorry havent done it in ages, looks like a gromet) pop off both shifter cables(theyre what attatch to the spears ont he shifter make sure you dont break the circle ends or ur gonna have to replace the whole cable) pull up and the old shifter is out. then you will have to remove the black rubber off of the center spear(middle of the shifter) using a flat head be careful tho u will need this piece seperate the white plastic over and do it all in reverse to install the new shifter

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
so you think the 2001 STS really work?
because the set up of the shifter is different than those after 2002.5
which you can actually adjust the shifter point...
I am just asking the question.
because if we get the STS for pre 2002.5
the set up is different
would it be better of to just cut of the shifter?

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
dont buy one from ebay. the quality is teh suk. get a steeda one.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i checked "how to" and didnt find instructions for 2001..
if anyone finds one please let me kno
thanks

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
i checked "how to" and didnt find instructions for 2001..
if anyone finds one please let me kno
thanks
i don think our STS will work...
just cut the stock shifter...
that is what i would do...

or maybe i should just leave it alone. LOL

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
haha yup i got mine from ebay... no instructions. looks great tho =) you just gotta take the center console out (two screws under cupholders, two or three screws under cup holder thing at the back end of it). u gotta pull the ebrake up as far as u can, then it just slides right up and off. from there, u just gotta get the old shifter out n put the new one in. altho it may seem like theres a trick to it...i just used a LOT of elbow grease n got it out haha. u just gotta do some prying and pulling.

heres a pic of mine complete =) trust me, even with the ebay ones, youll notice the difference and love it. this was the very first ebay mod i installed =D haha

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
haha yup i got mine from ebay... no instructions. looks great tho =) you just gotta take the center console out (two screws under cupholders, two or three screws under cup holder thing at the back end of it). u gotta pull the ebrake up as far as u can, then it just slides right up and off. from there, u just gotta get the old shifter out n put the new one in. altho it may seem like theres a trick to it...i just used a LOT of elbow grease n got it out haha. u just gotta do some prying and pulling.

heres a pic of mine complete =) trust me, even with the ebay ones, youll notice the difference and love it. this was the very first ebay mod i installed =D haha

lmao thats the exact one i was gonna get
do u lik it? because ive seen some other onces n i dont kno wut to get
do u recomend it?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
lmao thats the exact one i was gonna get
do u lik it? because ive seen some other onces n i dont kno wut to get
do u recomend it?
ive only used this one, so idk =p but i love this one. there is an absolute physical difference that you can tell from the first time you use it. it makes the shifter a lot lower, and sits at a much more comfortable position. it allows for a truly relaxed shifting position. and the gears are noticeably closer. trust me, the gears arent suddenly 2mm apart [giggle] but i love it, it makes driving more comfortable, and definitely more fun [driving] plus i always have people comment on how much they love the polished handle. its the only one ive used, but id recommend it [thumb]

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ive only used this one, so idk =p but i love this one. there is an absolute physical difference that you can tell from the first time you use it. it makes the shifter a lot lower, and sits at a much more comfortable position. it allows for a truly relaxed shifting position. and the gears are noticeably closer. trust me, the gears arent suddenly 2mm apart [giggle] but i love it, it makes driving more comfortable, and definitely more fun [driving] plus i always have people comment on how much they love the polished handle. its the only one ive used, but id recommend it [thumb]
damn bro u make it seem [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] exilirating lol
by the way, how long did u hav it for? does the chrome paint break off after a while?

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
early style shifter is very worth it. I had one on my 2001 foci and the Ford Racing shifter gave it a much improved feel. I cant speak for the ebay ones though.

2002.5+ is a different story where the linkage gets moved up and the shaft cut down a little. DIY shortys are ok with that style.

C

·
0 Posts
I fitted a B&M short shifter prior to my trip down south to Focus Fest. Easy to do with instructions enclosed and some patience. What a difference it makes though. I would recommend this shifter to all. My custom made black leather shifter boot looks cool too. Topped off with a Momo Air Leather "S" shift knob.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts