Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so i ordered a shift kit for my zx3 and im going to install it tomorrow and i was wondering if any one has any experience or advice when installing one? from what ive read it doesnt seem like i need to lift the car but other places ive read say that you need too? and if it matter its a(n) aspec short shift kit. any help is greatly appricieated. http://myfordfocus.com/how-to/shortshifter.htm now from what ive read about about it it doesnt seem that hard, it seems like all you really need to do is remove the console take the old one out and then put the new one back in.
thanks, J

·
TURBO ZX3
8,746 Posts
hell no you don need to do that. just remove the two screws underneath the cup holders and if you have a arm rest there should be one behind it on the center console. remove the center console and if you have what i had and thats the two cables connecting the shifter and not the third then you got to un screw the four allen head screws on top and take that piece off. now on the left is a weird tab button its got a bunch of tabs things on it. push them out while using a flat head screw driver to pry the button off. now you should be able to remove the shifter after disconnecting the two cables on the very bottom. those are tricky. they are twist locks, and they were the most frusterating for me to get off. now the shifter should come out erasily. take the center rubber piece off the shifter and remove the two plastic holder pieces.install those three parts back onto the new short shifter and go backwards from there, and walla you have yourself a new shifter, an hour tops to install. hope that helps. reputation points allways appreciated if i helped.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you so much for the help shifter installed in a little under an hour. but does anyone know if the wire for the airbag control module needs to be moved or did you just leave it where it is?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts