Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Been a while, but I'm back to a living arrangement that allows me the time to work on the car.

After looking closely at my short ram intake for a intense 45 seconds, I decided that fabricating a clean-looking sheet metal heat shield for my setup was far beyond my ability or availability of tools.

However, as those of you will know who have the home-made short ram, the filter does just sort of flop around in there. I know it's probably minimal, but I'm simultaneously convinced that when the hood is closed that thing is helicoptering around in there at almost the RPM of the engine. All the common sense in the world won't convince me otherwise. And so without further ado:

Brackets bent from steel stock bought at Ace Hardware, painted with Rustoleum high temp (barbeque) paint, attached to interior with well nuts.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Hey!

Nice work, that came out well.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
zetecDon, crude indeed! I thought my metal-bending skills were on par with Bender Bending Rodriguez, but my painting skills leave a bit to be desired, huh?

It probably all in my head, but it feels just a touch more responsive; I can't help but wonder if raising the filter up off that piece of metal didn't un-obstruct the airflow a little bit.

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
Does not matter what it really looks like, well made is that if after doing it it never ever gives trouble again. My cars have stuff like that all over them and every piece is bulletproof. I myself would have gone a bit further to retain the hose assembly somewhat to the support so it cannot even flop around, simply resting there may create some abrasion wear longterm.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
He's got an arm over the top, blends in a bit being black I guess so you didn't see it.

Doesn't go all the way over with the MAF in the way.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, there's some foam rubber padding laid into the upper and lower retainer pieces. I recently found that my engine block had abraded through my power steering cooler, because of a single lost plastic clip; I'm well aware of vibration trouble. x_x

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Lookks great & beefy to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts