Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a short ram intake. I have a 2001 S2 with the 16v zetec auto-tranny[:(]. I have a few questions about some intakes. 1)Thinking about the aem sri, do i have to worry about to much heat being sucked in. 2)Also thought about the FocusSport Cool-Flo intake, just wondering how this one is, if there is any sound differnce (looking for a nice throaty sound) oh and is it carb legal. 3)Any other intakes worth looking at aroun $240.00. Any help with these qeustions would be great. THANKS

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
for a Short ram, i have a Steeda and like it alot, i would of gotten the FS one but it was too much for me to pay.

·
Banned
136 Posts
I have a Zetec, Auto transmission.

The AEM SRI was my first intake ever and I'm happy with it. I didn't want to take my chances with hydrolocking, we do get a lot of rain here in Minnesota sometimes. There is a known issue with heat bog, some people have it, some people don't. Your idle might flutter a little at a stop or your car might stall (only at stops). This happens to me very rarely. The sound is great, I always thought SRI's sounded more aggresive than CAI's and I can get a clip if you need me to. Throttle response improves, and you can feel the pull at 3k rpms. With air conditioning on, I get a whistle sound like crazy, and the drop in performance the car usually has with AC is there as expected, but you'll notice the car really pull around 3k where the SRI usually helps most. There is a noticeable difference when you drive at night when it gets cooler out too. If it really worries you, you can consider getting a heat shield, which may or may not help. And since SRI's help out in the low end I think it would make more sense with auto trannies.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I like my short ram.

I wouldn't advise getting anything from AEM...as all you're paying for is the name. It's a waste. Actually, the ebay ones are great if you break down and get a k&n filter...which...IMO are the best. Up to you tho...ya know?

If you consider a CAI, I happen to be selling a brand new AEM Air Bypass valve...which prevents hydrolocking. Selling extremely cheap...PM me if you want

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
id try and get a used one, ohnestly IMO no intake is worth more than $100 if not less

·
Mtn. Dew
7,223 Posts
mofocus said:
id try and get a used one, ohnestly IMO no intake is worth more than $100 if not less
I would agree if we're talking about SRI's. If you're getting a short ram, get a good cheap used one.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Heat soak was a pretty big problem for me (I had a KN filter on the stock intake tube and just removed the factory airbox, so the filter was right on the end of the MAF). From an idle, it would bog like crazy until there was some air moving through the filter. I made myself a heat shield, and it helped a lot off with the hot air problem. The filter was about $50 and the heat shield cost me about $20 and some time to make it. I suppose the stock intake tube (throttle body to MAF) is the only bottleneck in my intake now, but I don't really think that presents much of a problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts