Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to make a heat shield for my AEM short ram.
Anyone know of any ready-made type things?
Or any pointers on how to make one?

I found a link in the how-to archive saying to make cardboard templates, and make it out of sheet aluminum. I'd like to do this and use some weather-stripping to make it look nice and not be sharp on the edges.

Main question is, where do you get just sheet metal? I can't find any stores around me that have it.

Also what do you bolt it to? Would it be beneficial to use the stock snorkel (Which I don't have, but I can get from the junk yard probably) to feed air to the filter?

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
Would be a little help imo. Take the warm air intake and add a bit of cooler air to it.

Found sheet metal before at ace.

Don't remember much down there to bolt to. Iirc there is a metal piece in between the air box and battery box, try that?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Im actually making one right now. Never saw a write up on it and just thought common sense. Cardboard is what i used for a template worked fine. As for the sheetmetal, its just an airdam so doesnt have to be thick at all i want to say i used 22 gauge? I dont have it on hand right now. I want to say lowes or home depot carry stock sheet metal, i got mine from my work for free but that doesnt help you really.
For mounting it just bolts onto the upper transmission mount. 3 out of 4 is what i used. The rear passanger side and both front. I have yet to buy weatherstripping or any kind of buffer material. (Ive been lazy with it)

Oh as far as the snorkel i personally think its worth buying the SVT snorkel gives you even more of that cold air effect. They pop up every now and then for 30-40 bucks. Or i think cfm has them for 70...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
If you're gonna do svt, imo do the whole svt set up. Maf included. Best results that way, though be careful.. probably need a tune with new maf

·
Registered
294 Posts
Im actually making one right now. Never saw a write up on it and just thought common sense. Cardboard is what i used for a template worked fine. As for the sheetmetal, its just an airdam so doesnt have to be thick at all i want to say i used 22 gauge? I dont have it on hand right now. I want to say lowes or home depot carry stock sheet metal, i got mine from my work for free but that doesnt help you really.
For mounting it just bolts onto the upper transmission mount. 3 out of 4 is what i used. The rear passanger side and both front. I have yet to buy weatherstripping or any kind of buffer material. (Ive been lazy with it)

Oh as far as the snorkel i personally think its worth buying the SVT snorkel gives you even more of that cold air effect. They pop up every now and then for 30-40 bucks. Or i think cfm has them for 70...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you have any pics of your set up? I will be making one for when I have my motor finished and I'd like to see some ideas.

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
What's your goal? If it's show your warm air intake is fine as is.

Other wise go true via, volant or svt.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd love to have a Volant. Basically my goal is, do what I can with what I've got. Eventually I'll probably give in and get a Volant.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
If I were you, I'd live with the warm air intake and save some pennies. Used volants pop up here and there, hassle a seller and grab a good deal.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, in the meantime, I've been to the salvage yards picking up odds and ends for the lady's car. While I was there, I grabbed a stock airbox and snorkel. I was thinking of cutting the stock airbox that I found to "fit" the AEM cone into, and the snorkel would feed cooler air to the box where the cone would get it. Seem good?

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
Seems better than what you have now

1 - 13 of 13 Posts