Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just installed my short ram air intake tonight, and when i turned it on, it sounded sooo much better, it pretty much got rid of the old car sound (156000 miles) and made it sound so much nicer, but when i got onto the road, it felt like the car was alot slower than what it used to be...help?

i would like to be able to feel that same power from when i had my stock air box.

my car before short ram air would smoke my car now.

i definitely noticed some punch to it when i would get into some higher mph, i could tap the pedal and feel more shot back in my seat than normal.

but why the loss in hp? or it feels that way anyways

·
NeedsMoarEverything
11,409 Posts
Your car needs to relearn the new intake, most people unplug the battery when they install any mods, so that the ecu gets reset. Also in hot weather, you make experience heat soak with an SRI. (Under hood temps get high and the car is sucking in that air.)

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright thanks.
i figured out what was wrong this morning, apparently the MAF wasn't plugged in haha.

but i have noticed that my oil light will not go off ever since i put this on. i have checked the oil many times and it is pretty full. i don't know whats up with this

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
an intake shouldn't cause an oil light, it might be something else

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
An oil light can be either low oil pressure, or low level. Could be your oil pressure sending unit on the back of the block, next to the oil filter.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i feel like it is the oil pressure sending unit, because i've checked the oil twice since it came on and the oil is nice and full. its been 2000 miles since my oil change and its never been on after start up. i went for my drive with my new intake, turned it off, turned it back on and my oil light has been on since.

during the drive the light was not on

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
yea I'd look into that. I think it reads the pressure in the unit and sends a voltage signal to the pcm. if its sending an inaccurate signal, it will trigger that light.

Matt

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys, i got the light to go offf, i pretty much just disconnected all connectors and the battery and reset all the stuff and plugged them all back in and now theres no lights showing.
most excellent

·
Registered
178 Posts
i read this post. my car seems sluggish too. i've had my short ram for about a month. if i unplug the battery now will that help the ecu reset?

·
Registered
175 Posts
If u live in a area where temps are about 80 degrees plus a short ram will actually cause u to lose power than from the stock because it sucks in all the hot under hood air. I live where its usually 100-115 all summer and i noticed this with my short ram. Now i have a cold air intake for summer and a short ram for winter to prevent vapor lock. The cold air works great for summer i can notice a power increase with it over stock. maybe get a cold air for summer where u live if u can afford it too.

·
I <3 my SVT
1,761 Posts
^you have the right idea, short ram's really are garbage for high temperatures. The Volant is the best of both, built like a short ram with the filter in the engine bay, but shielded from the heat, and with piping routing cool air in. I LOVE mine.

Matt
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
also dude manke sure you plugged everything back in properly, that could cause it if it is kind of a big difference

·
Registered
23 Posts
I notice when i had the short ram vs cold air i like the cold air better i cuz i live in AZ where temps reach 110+and notice i have no sluggish

1 - 15 of 15 Posts