Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a short ram air intake for my 2000 ford focus and everything looks like it will fit except, there is this what looks like an air filter sensor with a removable plug and has an arrow for air flow direction on it. My question is what do I do with it? can i simply remove it? or how would i go about adding it in with the cold air intake?

http://i4.ebayimg.com/05/i/001/1b/bf/8629_1.JPG

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump. Can anyone help? my car now will not shift above 3rd gear which is killing my mpg and the trans Axel fluid is not burning so i dont think it is transmission related. I simply unplugged the sensor on the air intake and installed the short ram air intake and now all this happens and my check engine light is on

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
the sensor you unplugged is most likely the MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor. You kinda need that one on the car. That's the device the lets your ECU to know how much air is getting to the engine, so it can give the proper amount of fuel to the combustion chambers.

Maybe you might be able to get rid of it with a ECU tune.... but still. Your engine is missing a critical bit of input which is probably why your car is acting crazy.

I always thought that most cone air filter set-ups had a spot to replace the MAF... your's doesn't seem to. But that could be for several reasons, one of which being it is an ebay special.

I'd put your stock airbox setup back on until you can figure out a way to mount the MAF to the new tube.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks im on my way to car quest they seem to think they may have something that will fit it, the car runs it just doesnt wanna switch into 4th gear so im getting terrible gas mileage but the oil breather line was cut out and replaced with the yellow line you see there, so the stock one wont even go back on unless I buy a new one of those, guess im gonna have to bite the bullet and drive it into town real quick and see what they can do for me

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
wait a sec why was the air breather tube cut out o_O it just unplugs from the rocker cover o_O

and the car will need a MAF, the TPS needs it?!?!?!?

Your check engine light is on isn't it

Upon looking closer i wouldn't use that intake whatsoever if I see right I hope that Bung isn't for the VC breather tube... with that amount of suction on the intake you will be pulling raw oil directly into your intake which will in turn really sludge up your intake/Throttlebody, thats actually a scary intake seeing it has no restraint or brackets to stop it from vibrating, bounce around putting stress on the neck of the throttlebody

and slip your right they usually do... and i just purchased one that actually uses the stock intake tube to keep the maf and it connects to the case with the cone on the other side

heres the one I picked up

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice, i just stopped out in town and was able to get a rubber piece that will mount it between the pipe and filter im about to go try it and see what happens, btw u think if i take a tape off a piece of foam in the oil breather and leave it off the air intake would be better?? dont need no more sludge the car is already too slow..lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
btw where did you get that one at? thats a nice and easy set up, sure beats all the work to set mine up..lol and its so big it actually rests on the area the old one was and the elbow joint is rubber so hopefully it wont cause too much stress but if this new thing doesnt fix it then i would love to put one on like you have, ill post pics with the new mod on that should fix it, and yes the check engine light is on

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright I got the setup back together with the mass flow sensor and reset the computer by unplugging the negative on the battery for a few minutes and it now no longer has the check engine light on. Now the only thing that worries me is having the yellow hose hooked up to the oil breather line. what should i do about it????? Its that little stem in the pic tht is what I didnt like about the original setup anyways and you confirmed what i didnt like so what should i do with it? otherwise the car runs fine now whew, its good to go faster than 45 now and gears shifting smoothly..lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts