Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that Tom (Focus-power) and Sean Hyland make short blocks for the focus but are their any other companies that make short blocks? If anyone knows of any please tell me, I'd like to see if their are any other then just two companies.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
there are lots, just look around, ever think about building your own?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks for the help man, but I did look around and got nothing. Yeah, I have thought about building my own but I'm not sure how. Anyone know how?

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
hah its alot of owrk, basically youd need a shop or a mechanic, possibly friend, that could build the block out of parts you get

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well getting help wouldn't be a problem, I could ask one of the guys at the shop I use to work at if they could help me. What parts would I need though?

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
well you could decide on whether you want a CGI or stock block, then rods, pistons, rings, etc.......since your going all motor youll want higher compression obviously

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'm most likely gonna get the CGI block because its stronger then the short block. Yea I do want higher compression, thats why I wanna do this.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I'm prolly gonna get the CGI block from Tom. I'm just not sure how much compression I want, the compression now is 9.6:1 but I need more, I'm also gonna get a ported head. I'm really going ALL MOTOR [:D]

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I've got my plan. I'm getting the CGI block from Tom. Which will be line bored, and honed to fit my pistons. I'm getting Crower stage 2 camshafts, valve springs and retainers, connecting rods, and JE pistons with a 10.5:1 compression ratio. I'll also be getting a Focus Central ported head. That will take care of my engine build up [:D]

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
hah yeah i havnt done any business w/ them but iv never heard any complaints, looks like "decent" stuff, and yeah when i saw the 10.5 CR i was thuinking your gonna want 11+ and maybe even stage 3 cams

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea man I emailed Walter Marcy with some questions and this is what he said.

The stock head reference is regarding combustion chamber size. It is popular and cheap to mill the head for additional compression, in which case the advertised compression ratio would be even higher. 11.5:1 is the maximum compression you would want to run on premium pump fuel though. Milling the head changes the cam timing, so I don't like to do it unless I absolutely have to. The pistons have larger diameter, deeper, valve reliefs for very large cams and up to 2mm oversize valves. We tested an MM-SB20Z-SC 10:1 short block back to back against a factory stock shortblock on the dyno, and were pleased to gain over 11ft./lbs. of torque with no other changes.

The combination of short block with ported head, cams, sprockets, intake manifold, throttle body, injectors, air meter, air intake, chip, race header and cat-back can work together to the tune of 180+ at the wheels and still be drivable every day by dialing the cams back a bit for the street. I don't care for UDPs, I prefer to take the weight out of the flywheel. You'll need one of our Sportsman clutches to shift above 7000rpm with any consistency. While it's all apart, that's the time for 4.06 gears and a Quaife LSD.

Let me know how we can help your project. If you want a price on a complete ready to run long block, we can provide the engine that way as well.

Walter Marcy

He seems to really know what he is doing and is willing to help me with "Project All Motor"

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea I've heard that SHM is good but I'm gonna work with Marcy motorsports on this project. Here are the mods I'm going to get from them.

Signature series sportsman clutch system (includes Billet steel flywheel and pressure plate combination with organic disc, can handle up to 250hp)

MTX-75 4.06:1 Final drive gear swap

Quaiffe MTX-75 Differential

Eibach pro system plus suspension kit

I'll also be getting a long block from them <<<Waiting for Walter Marcy to get back on me with the long block price and information, he said that he could set me up with one and that's what I'm gonna go for.

Those are just a few of the parts, I'm gonna have them help me out with this project which they said they would.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mofocus said:
hah yeah i havnt done any business w/ them but iv never heard any complaints, looks like "decent" stuff, and yeah when i saw the 10.5 CR i was thuinking your gonna want 11+ and maybe even stage 3 cams
Yea man I do want more compression but Walter Marcy said that 11.5:1 compression is the highest you will want to go with on premium fuel. If you read the email he sent me, you'll see what he said.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts