SMTNBLU
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I get one for my ZX5?

Thanks!

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
I will warn you that if you cut your own, reception will go to crap. I can only get about half the stations now and I only cut it about half way. If the reception doesn't matter to you, it does look a lot better.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
I will warn you that if you cut your own, reception will go to crap. I can only get about half the stations now and I only cut it about half way. If the reception doesn't matter to you, it does look a lot better.
I think you must just have bad luck with radios stations. I cut mine down a long time ago and I can stil get staions from 150miles away.

take a hacksaw
cut in the middle
cap the end with a vaccum line cap
done

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
I think you must just have bad luck with radios stations. I cut mine down a long time ago and I can stil get staions from 150miles away.
You would be right. Most stations that aren't country in my area are very weak or come from a long distance. Plus I live in a very wooded and mountainous area. If you don't have any of these problems, you shouldn't have any problems with a shorty antenna.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
You would be right. Most stations that aren't country in my area are very weak or come from a long distance. Plus I live in a very wooded and mountainous area. If you don't have any of these problems, you shouldn't have any problems with a shorty antenna.

I didnt mean to call you out..just trying make a point...

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
I didnt mean to call you out..just trying make a point...
Don't worry. I didn't take it that way. It was a very good point and was worth making

·
Registered
233 Posts
I bought the one from CFM and my reception went down the tube... I also live in a mountainous area... could just just be because of that...

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Yeah, sounds just like the area where you live. I'm in flat central Ohio and cut mine in half and my reception is still about the same. I can drive towards Cleveland and it takes about 100 miles out side of Columbus before I lose stations but then I start to pick up Clevelands. I actually still got all of my preset radio stations when I had the antenna off while I was cutting it[dunno]

To the OP, people have said pretty much anything that fits it will work. Some have had good results with ones they bought from Autozone, from CFM and from chopping theirs down. Just depends on the look you want. It's a pretty easy mod, good luck!

·
Floods suck.
5,296 Posts
I bought mine off ebay for $10 and it works great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts