Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Shooting N2O On A SPI Questions

Well I have thought about this and need some input from you guys. I am not looking to make crazy numbers, but to get a little more kick, maybe up to 130whp.

What would it take to shoot on a SPI motor? Would a tune be necassry, or a larger TB? How much could the factorty internals take? Has anyone done it before?

The reason I was thinking of nitrous was because it is the fastest way to make HP. Also because the SPI is a dying bread I could sell or re-install it onto another Focus if some thing bad happened to my car. I didnt really want to invest a ton of money into trying to find HP parts for the SPI and then have the car get wrecked and not be able to get rid of the parts.

I am just thinking at this point, so any constructive ideas would be nice.

Thanks! [popcorn]

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Its not a lot of work! If you are smart about it, you will be fine. And 130 whp is reasonable, shouldnt be a problem.

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
I imagine you could get more like 150whp if you wanted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the answers guys. I am still hoping some people with more advance knolwaged chime in.

I have had a good mechanic friend tell me that all you need to do is advance the timming. I dont know how ture that is, but he is a smart guy and has had experince with N2O, just not with fords.

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
NNNNOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! You RETARD the timing!!! Advancing the timing will result in the premature death of your motor.

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
lol Just remember to retard the timing, not advance. If you get a kit from a big company, it includes everything you need to get started except the tune. I like the zex kit. Its what I got and from personal experiance I can tell you it is a easy install. I also like that it has the throttle position sensor built it. This means it will not spray until you hit full throttle, which is the ONLY time you want ot run the juice.

BTW: Get a wet kit. This means the nozzle that squirts the nitrous also shoots fuel. That means the injectors do not have to work harder to accomidate the extra power being made.

Check this out. Viney266 did an excelent job putting it together.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11534

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
i wonder what shot that mustang was using???

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Spi is a tough motor, I would have no issues spraying a 50 shot to one at all. Moonpie beat me to it, check out that thread, and any questions after that just ask away. We will be glad to help.

I"ve installed literally dozens of systems, and they can be quite simple, or complex, but a 50 wet shot? SIMPLE.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so what kinda cost for a 50 shot kit? and a tune, is that required?

i did read over the link, but i gonna have to take some time and take notes!

thanks again guys

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Well I know that the zetec you can technically get away with having a 50 shot without a tune. According to Viney, the spi is a strong motor, so I am sure you can do that without a tune as well. But if you go ANY higher you will need to have the timing pulled a couple degrees.

Reactions: norcalfocus01

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
Oh, and with my zex wet kit and window switch (also highly suggest getting one of these) I paid a total of almost $600 plus shipping.

Each bottle fill costs me $25.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
just make sure you know the size of the jets, sometimes a 50 shot is more like a 60 or 65 shot, so be carefull, i would really get a tune for it. 35 and you will be ok.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
i wonder what shot that mustang was using???
lol probably like 100 shot, dumb A's [hihi]

and that's a cool idea, loud. right now my foci's just a DD, till I get the 2.5 V6 in it [giggle]

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts
This is really interesting... Anybody has resources to read up on Nitrous and the basics ?
I posted teh link in my earlier post.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts