Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got down and looked with a flashlight.
(62 and down on hands and knees peering through old eyes, so i mean it matters!!)
The one shock i could actually read the Ford number off the stamp right into the body of the shock is:
8V61-18159 Some of this was tough to read... so it may be inaccurate.

The one coil i could get a good look at the tag attached reads:
5310 NGF (I assume that is the so called NG coil with the F at the end being an extra letter for Focus or? they did change the G and F into one product?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, welcome to the forum! Take time to give us and intro.

I just picked up my '12 SE MTX Foci WITH sport package a couple days ago. Been cruising around town, and LOVE how it handles. I honestly wouldn't even mess with the suspension for anything aftermarket. The only benefit would be to lower it. I would do the suspension on all of my imports, so my taste for a tight suspension is sufficiently meet by what comes with the sport package.

Springs on SE WITHOUT Sport Package
# BV61-5310-NG* Left Front Coil
# BV61-5310-NG* Right Front Coil
# BV61-5560-NG* Left Rear Coil Spring
# BV61-5560-NG* Right Rr Coil Spring

Springs on SE WITH Sport Package
# BV61-5310-NF* Left Front Coil
# BV61-5310-NF* Right Front Coil
# BV61-5560-NF* Left Rear Coil Spring
# BV61-5560-NF* Right Rr Coil Spring
Based on the above, the coil spring with NG are not sport package and if NF, they are sport package.

As for the shocks, if you go to the the following website http://www.etis.ford.com/home.do
then click the 'Vehicle' tab, and type you VIN into the space and hit enter. Then take a look in the 'Minor Features' portion and expand the info, so you see it all. It should tell you (or at least mine said, "SE Sport Upgrade Package", "Touring Suspension"), if you have the sport package and what type suspension on your vehicle.

Also go to website:
http://www.fordparts.com/
type in your VIN and and in the Catalog Results page, in the Select Category box, highlight 'Suspension', then in the Select Sub-Category, highlight 'Shocks and Struts' then hit enter (Also Make Sure Your Cookies are set to at least "Medium High Privacy'), otherwise the website my mulfunction. It appears, if you input your VIN number, the site pulls up the parts made for that VIN number. I'm not 100% sure of that?
When I check what part number my shocks are, it tells me the following:

part number 18124
(AST-943)
Shock Absorber
Touring Suspension; LH (Front)

part number 18124
(AST-944)
Shock Absorber
Touring Suspension; RH (Front)

part number 18125
(ASH-23476)
Shock Absorber
Touring Suspension (Rear).

I've also tried to look at the number stamped into the shock, and mine are turned so I can't see it. I would have to remove the Tire and it is not worth the bother at this point. At tire rotation time, I'll check the number.[loveff]

·
Registered
609 Posts
looking my SE Sport up using my vin # mine has the NF springs.

·
Registered
609 Posts
same deal. Really strange how ford has done these cars up to this point. In other news, sky is blue, lol.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That's not right. I got the SE sport package and THESE are what are in the suspension.

BV61-5310-NF* Left Front Coil
BV61-5310-NF* Right Front Coil
BV61-5560-NG* Left Rear Coil Spring
BV61-5560-NG* Right Rr Coil Spring

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's not right. I got the SE sport package and THESE are what are in the suspension.

BV61-5560-NG* Left Rear Coil Spring
BV61-5560-NG* Right Rr Coil Spring
Mine are as follows:
BV61-5560-NF* Left Rear Coil Spring
BV61-5560-NF* Right Rr Coil Spring

It appears, FOMOCO just builds them with the parts on hand?
We ran out of the NG, lets throw on the NF instead! [wrenchin]

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ours shows NF* as well. When I peel the car out of my wife's hands I'll put it on the lift and verify what we have...

·
Registered
100 Posts
I must have seen this conversation in about dozen threads now. The etis MAY not match what was actually used. The onl[cool]y eway to determine what you have is to get down there and look.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Any idea what the actual difference between the two are? The "Touring" and non-Touring versions are $1 different on fordparts.com so I can't imagine them being too different.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would have to say the only difference in springs can be spring rate and height.
As for my new ride. i can say it handles pretty fine, whatever is under there.
Took a freeway entrance fast. A hard left turn to a sweeper right entering. And i took the hard left at 30mph and just accelerated. So that is pretty fine, and as good or better than my prior car, an SVT Contour.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts