Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend was driving the car as usual, and suddenly she stated that the steering was tough, and that she could hardly steer... as soon as I heard her say that I looked at the guages and noticed that both the water temp and oil temp was sky [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]g high I shut it off without consolidation from her.

Well, I would suppose something really bad has happened, and that I will have to pay for it as usual, whats up with this, anyone got a hunch before I give it to the royal-[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]g-money-taking-mechanic.....?

oooh, this is a 2002 SVT focus - stock, no mods.

Appreciate all answers.... Ciao

Ed [}:)]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yupp it was the belt, is it just to replace? Or will there wbe substantial damage??? It was very brief (the overheating that is). Thanks!

I'm taking it to a mech tomorrow mornign, see what can happen..... how much should I pay?

Ed

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yea, just tell them "hi can you guys install a belt real quick?" that way they wont b.s. you with diagnotics and labor costs. If you can install one yourself you gota make sure the tension is correct other wise itll just slip off again. Did it slip or break?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Heck, you can probably get a guy at the local auto parts store to do it if you throw a tip at him. I did more than my share in the parking lot. (if you can get the car there) Assuming the belt tensioner is still good, it is just a matter of looping the belt around the pulleys in the correct manner.

Oh, and the car should be fine since you shut it down promptly. A little overheating shouldn't hurt it, just remember to top off your coolant when you get her going again.

·
FF Affiliate
30,935 Posts
DONT drive it any more , dont even start it , if your waterpump isnt turning you will heat the emgine in about a block

It needs to be installed where it is or towed there

Tom

·
Registered
744 Posts
Bravo Tom! Yes, do what Tom said!

I sure as heck hope you did indeed shut it down in time. A buddy of mine overheated the engine in his tahoe; he siezed the engine and cracked both heads. With "free" labor, just the parts ran over $1800

That's on a chevy 350, the most common engine in the universe.

Do what Tom says, he is very very wise.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
shftat6 said:
Heck, you can probably get a guy at the local auto parts store to do it if you throw a tip at him. I did more than my share in the parking lot. (if you can get the car there) Assuming the belt tensioner is still good, it is just a matter of looping the belt around the pulleys in the correct manner.

Oh, and the car should be fine since you shut it down promptly. A little overheating shouldn't hurt it, just remember to top off your coolant when you get her going again.

[thumb] Good news, yes, the belt slipped off (didnt break)... I'm taking her in now, Thanks for the help! Well, a pulley has froze, its the guider or tensioner between the generator and the front one.... seems to just be a sort of ABS plastic, got quoted a couple hundred dollars at a diamond certified place, seems fair for a new pulley, bearings, belt and labor, we'll see...

Thanks for the help board!

Ed[}:)]

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Moved to: "Ford Focus Technical Chat"

·
1fastfocus05
1,592 Posts
do what? a couple hundred? are u kidding me...do it ureself man,,save some money,,it aint brain surgery...

·
Registered
415 Posts
brandon0133 said:
do what? a couple hundred? are u kidding me...do it ureself man,,save some money,,it aint brain surgery...
some people have a diffrent comfort level with car repair/modinfication. There are some things Id rather pay some one to do to.[thumb]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts