Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really know how to explain what is going on with the car.

When we drive 60 MPH down the freeway (or right around there, I want to say it starts at 60, but at 55 I don't notice it) it feels like a vibration starts at the front of the car and goes towards the backseat. I can feel it with my feet. And it doesn't happen just once in a while. I was trying to time it and I was counting 1, 2, 3, vibrate. So it's pretty often.

I was telling hubby the only thing I could think of that would be going as fast as it was coming was the tires.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Yeah, it sounds like you need to get your wheels rebalanced. It's not that expensive. Usually about $10 per tire or less.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Also, inspect your tires well for any imperfections or bubbles, especially on the inside of the tread. A bad pothole hit can cause issues. You may also notice a clean spot where a wheel weight fell off. Let us know.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is rebalancing? I'm thinking thats where the tires get moved from front to back and left to right

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
I'm thinking thats where the tires get moved from front to back and left to right
^^^That's called "rotating the tires".
Balancing is done by spinning each wheel and tire combo on a machine and adding weights to "balance" the assembly out.

Talk to your local shops, and ask if they can do a "Road Force" balance using a Hunter GSP9700 machine.
By FAR the best option in balancing tires, as it takes into account the high and low spots.
I've had this done to a few sets now, and the difference in "smoothness" is rather substantial.
Read more here:
http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/balancer/

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2005 zx4 ses and am having the same problem with the vibration between 45-65 mph. It's been back to the dealership twice now and they say there's no problem with the car.[?|] Mine seems to be in the rear of the car. They did the rebalancing, checked the alignment etc., had 6 people drive the car and everyone says it's fine. Now what do I do?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've been fighting this problem for over a year now. My shop I bought the tires and wheels from told me that the Focus had a weak suspension after I had it back like 10 times to get it to rebalance. I called BS on this. I took it to another shop and they told me that the tires I was running had high and low spots, and this was causing the vibration. They said it just depends on the brand of tire and what type of rubber it is made out of. I am running American Racing type SR 16 x 7 and 205/50/16 Fuzion ZRI tires.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Also my vibration started to pick up at 60 and got worse up to 80. I don't know above 80 though, I only do 5 over because I don't want a ticket.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Mine vibrates at around 70, you guys need to be careful to condemn the tires. Mine started after I replaced my clutch and flywheel. Which included the removal of both transaxle mounts. I noticed that the upper mount (the one under the air box) was off by like 1.5 mm from where it was before. Thats what I suspect causes my vibration. I know it's not tire related because I have brand new tires and freshly balanced wheels.

Consider any under-hood or suspension work htat may have been performed, as well as any other instances such as potholes or hit curbs. There's not much going on in the rear of the FOcus, but a bent suspension component or wheel out of camber can indeed cause vibration.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I also have the same problem. Took it a place called Zolman Tire and they said there were some dents and stuff in the tires so they rotated the tires around so I would get the smoothest ride and rebalanced the tires. Still have the vibration though just not as bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 2005 zx4 ses and am having the same problem with the vibration between 45-65 mph. It's been back to the dealership twice now and they say there's no problem with the car.[?|] Mine seems to be in the rear of the car. They did the rebalancing, checked the alignment etc., had 6 people drive the car and everyone says it's fine. Now what do I do?
Might be the engine mounts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts