Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right now i have a 03 zX3 with an aem short ram intake and fc t/b. im stuck in alaska so i cant practice this right now but i want to know or at least find out when to shift when racing. i dont know where my good shift points are and in know its pretty much trial and error. also when shifting that quick and hard, better to dump the clutch? please give me some input. thanks.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
In my expierience (I dont have a whole lot) I've found that shifting around 6000 was best. And I also found that shifting fast, or slamming gears didnt really help alot, I mean, I shift faster than when I'm just driving around, but it just doesnt seem to help by beating the hell out of your shifter, that might just be me though.

·
Registered
875 Posts
When performance shifting, I shift @ ~6200, right about when the motor stops making power. As far as 'dumping the clutch when you shift', the faster you can complete the gearchange, the faster you'll be applying power in the next gear. Good luck! [thumb]

·
Boosted
2,814 Posts
shift a at 6k, and shift fast-just dont mis any shifts

·
Mtn. Dew
7,223 Posts
What kind of racing are you going to be doing? Drag racing or track racing?
You shouldn't shift any higher than 6200, as they've already said.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Practice the seat dyno test...When you feel the pull drop off learn to shift before that. Also you don`t need to fully depress the clutch--find the middle sweet spot for normal driving and use that when speed shifting. Get a short shifter and this will also help...Practice makes perfect....[driving]

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Yeah, a short shifter REALLY makes a difference!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.