Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know when to shift while racing. But i wonder what is the best rpm to shift during driving in the city to get the best MPG. It is guite important to me cuz price per gallon (premium) is over 2$ in Chicago.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I would shift at around 4 or 4 1/2 k if ur being really economic

·
Registered
170 Posts
To get good mileage shift at lowest rpm that doesn't bog engine with entering next gear. Boring but will get you max mileage. 4000 is way to high for best mileage. You want to get to highest gear as fast as possible with least amount of effort. Easy with the right foot.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i think that 4k is to high for good gas mileague, I usually shift around 2500 rpm

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
2500's rpms???? Dang You would have no power If I let the car sit at below 3k rpms while driving and I hit the gas the car doesn't kick in for soooooooo long

·
Registered
975 Posts
I shift at 3500rpms it doesn't bog down at all and when i hit the gas it kicks in and i get good gas mileage doing that . Try it out and see wat happens

·
Registered
347 Posts
Seb656 said:
I would shift at around 4 or 4 1/2 k if ur being really economic
Whoa!!! That is way too high for shifting around town if you want the best mileage. Shifting at 2500 rpm's is the best but it takes forever to get up to speed so around 2500-3300 rpm is pretty good for all around driving. However, due to skyrocketing gas in California at $2.23 a gallon for 87 I am starting to shift at 2500 rpm's.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WHAT ?????????? 2.23$ for a gallon of 87 ????? well now i know why i would not move to California. On the suberbs of Chi-town u can buy 87 for around 1.7$ per gallon

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
I always shift around 3000-3200 RPM's. I always end up getting around 30 mpg everytime.

**whoops, I didn't notice that this was SVT Performance Chat.**

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
when trying to get good gas mileage all one has to do is watch the little up arrow light. Ford put that in for a reason. But if im in the mood to ignore that light i shift around 3400 at the latest.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I can't speak for everyone's SVT but mine doesn't have an upshift indicator light. And I'm pretty sure the owner's manual supplement has recommended speeds for shifting listed in it somewhere, although they are mph speeds not at what RPM to shift...

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
This is SVT Zarelli we don't have that lil light

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
For saving gas: I shift between 3k and 4k in first gear. 3500 in second. 3000 for the rest. Doing this, I average about 24.5 mpg in about 50% city and 50% hwy (315 miles per tank). It should be better, but I have a habit of starting my car in the morning to warm it up and getting carried away in the house. 10-12 minutes a day is probably killing my numbers. In all reality, it probably shouldn't run for more than 5 minutes...

Don't forget though, SVT tuning was haphazard at best, especially in the lower RPM range. They gave our cars a crazy rich diet below 3000 RPM, and then leaned it out (sounds kinda backwards for safety, doesn't it?). SCT has actually been disabling the MAF below 3000 RPM on the custom maps so they could lean it out. If you are still running a stock map, I would try to keep it a little above 3000 RPM. Now don't go crazy, >5000 RPM will guzzle your gas, but so will bogging the engine (which is not good to do for engine life anyway).

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Oh yeah I forgot to mention...if you are trying to save gas, minimize your defroster usage. Some cars, like our SVTF, use the AC compressor to 'dry' the air on this setting. I had a habit of leaving this on all the time. When I switched the setting to floor or dash, I gained 2 mpg on average. No BS.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thanks for the tip essveetee.

For my normal driving, about 50 miles a day, 30 highway, 20 city, I average 26 mpg. I usually shift at 3000 rpm in the morning. For normal driving, around 4000. But I do hit 7000 during my lunch runs. On road trips, I have gotten 31.5 mpg cruising about 80-85mph. Worst was 17 mpg, was in San Diego going crazy!:)

Premium gas is about $2.30 here...

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
My numbers are pretty close to yours Ray. My best roadtrip was 32.5 mpg and my worst was 18 mpg, way back on the car's first tank of gas.

·
Registered
720 Posts
i know this isnt directly related to saving gas, but i didnt want to start a whole entire thread

at what rpm's do you guys downshift, like say your in 4th and you know your gonna be going slower so you downshift to 3 at what rpms do you do it at ? sometimes i feel like im downshifting too much

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
It depends on the road I'm on. I usually only try to downshift when I'm braking...to keep it in the powerband. If I'm in city driving, I tend to downshift when I'm at around 2-2.5k...but this still depends on other factors. If I'm blasting up my favorite mountain road, I'll try to downshift when I'm around 4.5k to 5k. That way I'm always between 5k and redline.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts