Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 2.3L ZX3 5 speed. I ordered a stick so I can get the best gas mileage possible by controling the RPMs. I only have just around 1200 miles on it and was wondering about something.

I recently took a trip from Ft. Lauderdale to the Keys (Key west) and got 35.5 MPG. Usually, I drive mostly city - like 90% of the time. I have been getting 22-23 mpg. Now... here's the question (finally).

In the city, I try to shift no more than 2,000 RPM. It's common knowledge that the less you rev your engine, the better MPG you should get however, I was wondering if, by shifting at a much lower RPM, am I putting more of a strain on the engine - causing the opposite effect (lower MPG).

I hope this isn't a silly question but the car is rated for 25/33 mpg. I haven't gotten 25 in the city yet however, I have gotten 2 1/2 MPG BETTER than the posted ratings on the highway because of the lower RPM.

Is this a result of the car being so new still and I should let it "break-in" a little longer before I make this comparason?

Just wondering.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. If I were you though, I would keep doing what you're doing untill the engine is broken in nicely. I think you'll have a stronger car for it.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
I have a 2.0 and I shift at or around 3000 RPM. I get between 30-33 MPG everytime.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ZX3_Chick said:
I have a 2.0 and I shift at or around 3000 RPM. I get between 30-33 MPG everytime.
Really? That's great! Is your driving city? I'll probably get less than that because it's a 2.3L but that's encouraging.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
City and highway both. My boyfriend drives it like a bat out of hell most of the time and we still average at least 30.

R

·
0 Posts
For normal easy driving, I always shift around 3 grand... I find this gives a very smooooooth ride. :) As for mpg, i dont really know. I'm not really one to be pay attention to that. But I can't complain.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I've been doing the shifts about 3 grand too with occasional run up the the 7k mark. Last tank i averaged over 30mpg and that was with highway and around town use. I've noticed though that when i turn the a/c on, that it drops significantly.

·
Registered
159 Posts
dont see any svts for brcrane14 but i like to shift it right around 28/2900(read the book thats where i shift around at) i so far have gotten 21-23 city only mpg

·
Registered
847 Posts
Does anybody actually read the owner's manual.........................?

There is an amazing wealth of information in there... how to change your oil, what kind to use, how to jump start a car.. ... ... . . . shift-points for best MPG... . ... .

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
eggyolk said:
Does anybody actually read the owner's manual.........................?

There is an amazing wealth of information in there... how to change your oil, what kind to use, how to jump start a car.. ... ... . . . shift-points for best MPG... . ... .
Yes. I have read the owners manual - as I'm sure many of us have. I have read the section on shifting reccomendations but I wanted to see what Focus owners have experienced.

As you are aware, what is written and what actually happens are sometimes different. I wanted to give the members an opportunity to give their experiences in actual situations.

If I posted this in the wrong forum, I apologize. [:I] If it should be posted in a different forum, can you give me some advice as to where it should be posted?

Still looking for more experiences.

Thanks

·
Registered
847 Posts
Justjimmy said:
As you are aware, what is written and what actually happens are sometimes different.
Not in this case, smarter people than those that post here actually put numbers together to get you that information.

Here's another tip: You have a shift-indicator light. IF you are TRYING to conserve fuel by only using slight throttle movements, the computer will factor in speed, load the vehicle is under, what gear you are in, and throttle position, and straight up tell you your optimal shift point.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dude, just asking a question and have gotten several responses from others that are curious too. It seems like a reasonable question. Eggyolk - why so negative?

Relax man.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts