Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive done some reading on the forums here and see a few people complaining about the probs they have with it not going into gear, having to force it in etc. etc.... i too have experienced this prob a couple times, the first gear sometimes doesnt wanna go in and the third gave me a prob once...

so anyway, my question is this... if one were to put in a after market short shifter, would it not solve this problem? [strongman]

·
Registered
381 Posts
Probably not, since the problem is probably in the transmission either with syncros or something else. The shifter will just change the height or the throw. The lenght that the cables have to move to get the gear in is still going to be the same.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so thats what is making the shifting stick? its hard to discribe but it pisses me off the few times it has happened... i wonder if i should take it to the dealer.... ive put in a steeda intake n a new sound system, would that void my warranty?

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,797 Posts
so thats what is making the shifting stick? its hard to discribe but it pisses me off the few times it has happened... i wonder if i should take it to the dealer.... ive put in a steeda intake n a new sound system, would that void my warranty?
no, because that has nothing to do or any affect on your shifter problem. Unless an aftermarket part causes directly something to fail, you are fine.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
makes sense.....ill have to look into it, i dont want it to get worse, i like smooth free flowing shifts, not this hard pushing n pulling to get it into gear, or not being able to get it into gear period

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,797 Posts
I have heard somewhere on here that people who have problems engaging gears often times had a bad slave cylinder if I RECALL.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what do you mean by rub on the shift linkege?? i have a intake but its short ram from steeda.... it has that heat shield, but i noticed the sticking shift before i put it in, and the shifting has always seemed hard... fourth gear and fifth are nice and smooth tho

·
CloudNine88's Man
3,465 Posts
I've heard that someone had the clutch master cylinder failed and the fluid leaked everywhere. Check your brake fluid, the master cylinder runs off this fluid. If it's low, take it to the dealership under warranty.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I've been having a hard shift from 3rd-4th ever since the dealer replaced my tranny mounts and synchros. Often times it will go into 2nd instead and surprise the crap out of me. Of course they won't acknowledge this as a problem, so honestly, good luck trying to get the dealer to change it for you...

·
CloudNine88's Man
3,465 Posts
But his is an '07.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so i let my buddy test out the car, he says it runs fine and its probably just me being paranoid, everything seems to be in working order......i dunno i guess ill keep my eye on the situation....

·
CloudNine88's Man
3,465 Posts
That's exactly what happens at the dealership when they look at it. Just keep watch on it. Did you check the brake fluid?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no i dont no how to check my brake fluid? and what purpose does that serve? i dont no much about cars mind u.....

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Owners Manual will show how to check brake fluid.

The brake fluid has a common usage with the hydraulic clutch pedal. If it is low, you should be getting a red brake warning light in the instrument cluster, but it never hurts to check. It is mounted on the firewall of the engine compartment, in the area in front of the drivers seat/steering wheel. It is whitish translucent plastic so that you can see the level without opening the reservoir. Max an Min lines for the level ar molded into the plastic reservoir, but you might have to look closely to see them.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
My wife bought me a STS for my car. We went to install it, and found out it was for the 5 speed, not my car's 6 speed, so we re-assembled the stock shifter. I don't know why, but my balky upshifts were solved....

If I had the right STS, I would have attiributed the improved shifting to it, and never known that my stock shifting would have been better.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts