Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so ive been having an interesting problem and i am trying to figure out where the best place to start fixing it is. I can rev out 1st and 2nd gear, but when putting it into 3rd gear after reving out 2nd it grinds with the clutch pedal pushed to the floor. I have been told that it means my clutch is going. But why wouldn't it do that in all the gears? Oh it also only happens sometimes. All help is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
3rd gear synchro. common issue. i had an a-hole sell me a trans that would 3 gear unless i double clutched. it will only get worse so start saving for a trans. basically to make it last longer take it easy shifting.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Yup, very common. My 3rd has ground for well over 100,000 miles.
The odd thing, ?, is that different transmission fluids change how bad and what RPM it grinds at.
Per a recommendation Tom had made and not having anything else on hand, I put 10W-30 motor oil in my transmission. Oddly enough my grind is virtually gone. That alone is keeping my running motor oil in my trans (just like a Honda).

I wouldn't doubt the "Ford Honey" does a good job too. Which is the recommended Ford fluid for the MTX-75.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The weird part is the tranny is only at 44k miles. Would changing the transmission fluid help the situation?

It usually happens if i rev out 2nd gear till around 5 thousand rpm's.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only thing i would think that would cause it to be bad would be some really bad manual driver before me or if the first owner used the Nitrious.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts