Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is gonna be a little hard to explain. What I have noticed sometimes, its almost always random, is that when I physically move the shifter from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd and sometimes even 4th to 5th the action on the shifter seems like its sticky or something. I can;t really describe it better than that it seems like its harder to physically move the shifter into thoughs gears. Also when this happens the shifter makes a lot more noise moving into thoughs gears and it feels almost like its rubbing on or catching on something. I am wondering is this normal? Or is there something wrong with my shift linkage or Tranny or what? BTW I have installed the VF rear mount.
Also I don't know if its just the nature of the SVTF or if its me but it seems real hard to make smooth shift link ups even when I let the clutch out pretty slow. It maybe my inexperience since I have only been driving stick for a month or so but Im not sure.
Any input on either subjects is greatly appreciated I hope there is nothing going wrong with my SVT.[:(]

·
Registered
484 Posts
my car does that too...the place i was at said its my clutch that i need a new one...dont know if there right havnt taken it anywhere else

·
Registered
456 Posts
If the cable ends aren't loose in their brackets (there is a spring-loaded 'nut' that holds them in position), your cables could need adjusting.

Easy to do;
1. Center shifter
2. Pop up the orange lock on the transmission end of the shifter cables (might need to carefully pry it up with a short flat-blade screwdriver)
3. Wiggle the shifter back and forth a bit trying to re-center it better.
4. Push down the orange lock to secure
5. Test it out

Do the zip tie trick as shown to keep the cable ends from popping off the linkage if you like to aggressively shift.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Wow always great info from everyone around here!

About the shifting for the SVT, I too noticed it is a little bit sensitive and harder to shift smooth. Try shifting faster, I shift smoother when shifting fast than when I go slow. You could also try modulating the throttle a little bit between shifts to keep the revs from dropping too quickly- especially between 1st and 2nd. I always heal-toe when downshifting- it's good prectice and it's easier on the drivetrain.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anaxagoras1986 said:
Wow always great info from everyone around here!

About the shifting for the SVT, I too noticed it is a little bit sensitive and harder to shift smooth. Try shifting faster, I shift smoother when shifting fast than when I go slow. You could also try modulating the throttle a little bit between shifts to keep the revs from dropping too quickly- especially between 1st and 2nd. I always heal-toe when downshifting- it's good prectice and it's easier on the drivetrain.
hmmm....My revs don't drop very much between shifts....They always seem to hang even when I shift at 2k RPMS. I even try to let off the gas a second before I put the clutch in to shift even then they seem to hang a bit. If I were to give it more gas I think the engine might rev even higher and when I let the clutch out it might be even more rough with the sudden RPM drop to connect that gear. I don't know if I;m correct but the way my engine is behaving seems to be different.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
COSDEVSVT said:
If the cable ends aren't loose in their brackets (there is a spring-loaded 'nut' that holds them in position), your cables could need adjusting.

Easy to do;
1. Center shifter
2. Pop up the orange lock on the transmission end of the shifter cables (might need to carefully pry it up with a short flat-blade screwdriver)
3. Wiggle the shifter back and forth a bit trying to re-center it better.
4. Push down the orange lock to secure
5. Test it out

Do the zip tie trick as shown to keep the cable ends from popping off the linkage if you like to aggressively shift.

Wow that is fantastic thank you for the info and the picture. I'm wondering where is that area in the picture? and how do I get to that area where the linkage meets the transmission? Looks like you have to disconnect the intake piping from your picture but I might be mistaken. Also I am still covered by warrenty is this something I can take in and have fixed?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah I have noticed that it is really hard to drive the SVT Focus smoothly. The hardest one to try and do it is from 1st to 2nd. I have always noticed that if you just shift quick and let your foot off the clutch quick it always is better.

·
Registered
456 Posts
SVTFsOnIcBlUe said:
Wow that is fantastic thank you for the info and the picture. I'm wondering where is that area in the picture? and how do I get to that area where the linkage meets the transmission? Looks like you have to disconnect the intake piping from your picture but I might be mistaken. Also I am still covered by warrenty is this something I can take in and have fixed?
That area is directly below the underhood power distribution box (the big black box on the drivers side dash panel. Easier to access if you remove the airbox/MAF tube assembly from the throttle body. The trans linkage is on the backside of the transmission.

The pic doesn't show the shifter counterweight (removed because I'm have the PW S/C - would hit the throttle body). The counterweight is just a ~2.5" cylindrical mass hanging off a lever arm. If you want to try a lighter shifter feel, you can just remove the counterweight - do a thread search on it. Some like the lighter feel ... others don't.

You can try having a dealer adjust it, but you never know if they are really doing it ... or if they will give you a hard time about it.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
SVTFsOnIcBlUe said:
hmmm....My revs don't drop very much between shifts....They always seem to hang even when I shift at 2k RPMS. I even try to let off the gas a second before I put the clutch in to shift even then they seem to hang a bit. If I were to give it more gas I think the engine might rev even higher and when I let the clutch out it might be even more rough with the sudden RPM drop to connect that gear. I don't know if I;m correct but the way my engine is behaving seems to be different.

If you time it just right you won't even feel the shift. Just do a quick snap with the shifter and let the clutch out fast and if it's times you'll be smooth as silk. If you don't time it right it's going to really rough though! [:p]

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have this problem as well, but I am missing a bushing on my shift linkage. But I just had all that replaced besides the bushing and I still have this problem, speraticly

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm maybe thats just how the shifter mechanism acts I guess. When I put my CAI on I will check that linkage point and adjust accordingly maybe that will help.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
While you are looking, check that nothing is rubbing against the 'counterweight' that Cosdesvt mentioned. That can cause a weird 'hard to pull out of gear' feeling also.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Ive adjusted mine, swapped in Royal Purple Synchromax...everything. Ever since my 1st CM Clutch install it just hasnt had a good 1-2 shift. You can almost feel it binding; like it hits a notch. Ive made sure nothing rubs on the counter weight...Im at a loss...

..also, if I rev my car up near redline in 1st (clutch in) the car jumps a little...

It *is* better since the RP Synchromax but not perfect...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That Royal Purple is supposedly the best right. Sounds expensive. I dont know what kind of lubricant is in the tranny. I did just get the oil changed and switched to Mobile 1 though.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Darth Focus said:
Ive adjusted mine, swapped in Royal Purple Synchromax...everything. Ever since my 1st CM Clutch install it just hasnt had a good 1-2 shift. You can almost feel it binding; like it hits a notch. Ive made sure nothing rubs on the counter weight...Im at a loss...

..also, if I rev my car up near redline in 1st (clutch in) the car jumps a little...

It *is* better since the RP Synchromax but not perfect...

Who did your clutch? They didn't damage the linkage did they?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts