Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, next project: how do you install the trim aftermarket trim ring that goes around the shifter. do you just screw striaght into the plastic, or should i remove the console first and then install it? anybody have any neat tricks for not showing the screws, ccause i think they're gonna look kinda tacky

Mike

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
just do it however u want man, u could always use some kinda adhesive too eh. or find some flat top screws that dont really screw, they kinda click in, forget the name of them tho

·
It's been fun.......
3,042 Posts
You don't need to remove the console unless you replace the supplied screws with bolts or something that requires a nut on the backside. Screw right into the plastic, it's better to drill a small starter hole, not too big or the screws won't grip. If it is similar to the one I installed they recommend you screw in the rear screws first but not all the way as the trim ring doesn't fit perfectly flat then screw in the front screws after which tighten all four screws until they are snug DON'T OVERTIGHTEN as this could strip out the plastic. Depending on what color your trim ring is you could always mount it then cover the screws with plastic filler, lightly sand it and paint to match the trim ring color ( of course this could make it tough if you ever wanted to remove it for some reason) Or look around for screws with a better looking head, I believe someone not too long ago found some hex wrench or torq head screws they said looked nice.[burnout]

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, but i think i'm just gonna sell this guy (unless my brother wants it). i don't like the idea of any bolts or screws being exposed and i can't think of a good way to secure it otherwise. Ford did us a favor and covered almost all blatantly obvious screws with covers for a cleaner look, and i'd like to keep it that way. even if i could mount it without the screws, i'd still have the holes showing where the bolts should be. i'm not too upset, though, since i got it cheap enough. if anybody's interested, i'll probably be posting it in the classifieds sometime this weekend, maybe even sooner

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts