Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i finally got the car running and re adjusted my link cables like you are supposed to. I drove the car and everything shifted fine 1-5 and R worked great. Then suddenly going up the hill to work the tranny wouldnt come out of third. I pulled over and checked out the situation. I could move the shifter freely up and down..not side to side.When i did move it down there was no "shift" only movement. The shifter would not go side to side at all. So i managed to get to work and back home in 3rd gear...i felt bad for the clutch though. I pulled the linkage cables out of the little black and white clamps and to my surprise the lever where the black clamp is was jammed. The lever connected to the white gear box on top of the tranny would not move side to side like its supposed to. This happened when i was working on the car about a week ago and it just "went away" and fixed itself. Why is that shift lever/mechanism getting locked up? Not real familiar with the internals of transmissions so any help is great. Is there a cover on that gear box i can pull off and look inside? Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had the same problem about 1500miles ago. I am now looking in to "how too's" on changing the transmission out.
Good luck.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
you say that the side-to-side is not working, but the one you circled is the up/down mechanism? im confused.

chances are you just need a new selector, not a whole new tranny. you can replace that selector without even thinking about dropping the trans.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
oh ok i re-read and now i understand

I dont know what would cause it to lock up. I know what would cause it to be really sloppy tho... and it could probably cause it to lock too. There is a roll pin (and in some cases, a bolt) in the selector that likes to break and/or back out and cause all kinds of problems.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so i took a real look again today at it and what happened was the orange clip that holds the linkage cable to the black clamp fell out. From there the shifting got all out of wack which i why it was stuck occasionally. Replaced the cable...works like new

1 - 6 of 6 Posts