Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Aggresive Not Crazy
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im driving down the street and i start to down shift,i get into first,stop and try to put it back into neutral. we'll now the shifter just went back and forth no left or right. im trippin thinking my clutch just went out. long story short of me cussing and swearing lol the little boot that couples the shifter ball keeps popping off!!! how had is it to change the links that trail to the tranny?

·
Registered
1 Posts
It isn't really a CHORE but I was able to do it on a lift in about 2.5 hours. you have to take the console and bottom of the dash out and remove some ac ducts to get to where the cables go through the floor. I had to cut the carpet with a razor knife to get it out of the way. Under the car the exhaust "downpipe" and its insulation need to come off as well. It's tricky to see where the cables are routed in the engine bay but once you now where they go you can have someone feed them to you from inside the car while you reach into spaces almost too tight to reach into and route them to the shift linkage on the transaxle. I lucked out on mine and didn't have to adjust them at all they worked great right out of the bag. FYI mine needed replacement because the exhaust tube that comes off of the drivers left side of the header melted the cable sheath and allowed the cable to just lengthen and tighten in the engine bay instead of pushing the fore/aft selector arm. hope this helps

·
Registered
16 Posts
not good derek. do you still have access to a lift at school? if not i'd be glad to help you in my garage. i dont have a lift but i have access to some really high jack stands.

·
Aggresive Not Crazy
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its just the metal links to the shifter itself, its popping off more often, as of right now its on hold cause bills. but highest priority

1 - 5 of 5 Posts