Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok its 1am i think i know whats wrong but i wanna see if anyone can help me or tell me whats wrong ok put a new fuel filter in tonight then pulled my car out of the garage so my brother could work on his car when i went to pulled my car back in i went to put it in gear i put the car in reverse then put it in 1st i felt the shifter get stiff then i got it in 2nd gear and know the car is stuck in reverse but the shifter is stuck in 2nd gear postion now about a year ago i was driving and shifted my car to 2nd gear and then to 3rd the car got stuck in 3rd gear postion but was in 2nd gear and it was the cable that got loose and fell of a bracket is there anything that can cause this? this is a midnight teaser anyone on here with any answers [dunno]

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Ok, I think you're going to have to pull the shifter apart. It's not that difficult to figure out. From the rear of the shifter, push the bottom of the boot towards the front, and pull up slightly, pull back slightly and the boot should release. Unscrew the shift knob, pull off the reverse lockout and spring, then pull the boot off. There should be 2 screws in the front of the console underneath little plastic plugs in the center of the cup holders. Then pop the back side of the console off just below the armrest/ mess holder. There should be a few screws in there to remove as well to remove the armrest. In the center of the rear cup holder there is another screw. Under the armrest there should be 3 maybe 4 10mm bolts to remove with an extension. Now the console is free from bolts and screws. The E-brake boot does not remove like the shifter boot, you must work the boot over the handle.

Now you can see and work on the shifter. I bet you'll find something is preventing the side action of the shifter. You'll see the cable attached at the top of the shifter, you should be able to pry that up and partially release the shift "fulcrum". Now hopefully you can see what the problem is and you won't need a new shifter.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nah it took 5 mins to fix just jacked it up and tighten the plastic nut and bolt that holds the cable in a bracket when it loosens and falls off the cable jams problem is that there no way to get it really tight cause 1 it plastic if i break it i gotta replace the whole cable since it runs thru the middle of it and 2 there not really a way to get a tool in it i should have took pics of the part cause its hard to explain and alot of people probably dont know its even there, last time this happend it was a plan i just got the car and had the stock intake with the cai the box is gone and now ill just hand tighten it every few months

1 - 3 of 3 Posts