Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The shifter interlock has been sticking when it is cold weather. Finally got tired of inserting the key in the override slot, so here is an illustrated procedure of how to get to the solenoid assembly that was my problem.

Many thanks to RatchetsAndWrenches for his video on how to get to the shifter assembly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owe0sUzPJdE

1. There are screws under each front cup holder, one near the rear cup holder hidden under a plastic plug.
2. After the screws are removed, pull up on the console and removed it. You will have to move the shift lever in different positions to get it out.
3. There are four 10mm nuts that fasten the shifter assembly to the floor. Remove them. Pry off the transmission linkage from the shifter. It pops off.
4. To remove the shifter linkage from the shifter assembly, there is a black plastic pin that needs to be pulled back to release the shifter linkage.
5. Disconnect the one connector. Now you can remove the entire shifter assembly.
6. To get the solenoid assembly out, there are two long T10 torx screws mounting it inside the shifter assembly, C & D. I had to get out the Dremmel and cut away some plastic as there was no way to remove the long screw in the front. Don't know how it was put in there to begin with.
7. Once removed, there are two more Torx screws holding the solenoid assembly together. The two plastic halves pry apart easily to reveal the inner workings. You can see that there is some coffee buildup on the white plunger and that is what was causing my problem.

Clean all the parts and connectors and reassemble. You can see from the last photo, that there is a micro-switch that is activated when you press on the shifter interlock button.

Looking at IMG5, B is the solenoid plunger and A is the plastic piece attached to the button that is forced down to release the interlock. If B is sticking in the solenoid assembly, then A will not be able to complete it's travel. When the interlock button is depressed and your foot is on the brake with the ignition in the on position, that white piece is forced downward and you can move the shift lever.

You could just replace the entire shifter assembly from a JY, but you may be buying the same problem down the road. There is no JY within 45mi and I wanted to fix this and not visit it again.

Hope this will help all of you with this same problem. Watch the video, it is very easy to remove the console and shifter

Attachments

·
Registered
17,555 Posts
Just do away with it altogether, if adults only and no kids around...............I removed them off every car that had them.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And what about when you sell the car someday?

·
Registered
17,555 Posts
Cars came without that feature for 75 years, it did not stop a single sale. A lawsuit stopper is what that feature is, for those that cannot make a living any other way. Either young child or you drunk have no business powering up a car. Ford took part of owner responsibility away from owner as he cannot be trusted there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts