Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im planning on installing my short shifter but i dont have the required lube that is needed, does anyone know what type i need and can i get this at any local autoparts store. thanks guys and possibly a girl

·
Registered
20 Posts
Actually it is a suspension components lube the stuff used with the poly bushings. A sticky gooey stuff.

Some people have reported using some high end Bicycle bearing grease instead. This stuff remains very flexible even in the coldest weather.

Whichever you use, don't skimp. When it says liberally in the instructions add some, then some more and follow it up with a little more.

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
focusdarko said:
im planning on installing my short shifter but i dont have the required lube that is needed, does anyone know what type i need and can i get this at any local autoparts store. thanks guys and possibly a girl
Politically Correct Post..... you should win something!!

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
focusdarko said:
[thumb]

·
Registered
170 Posts
Silicone based grease is the stuff to use. Regular petroleum based greases will soften the plastic components(not good).Putting my short throw into my Focus was more difficult than I was expecting,and I have put MANY shifters in cars.Best thing I did to help my car shift was to hack off that 3 lb. weight Ford attached to the top of the imput lever on the side of the tranny,accessible under the air box(well,where it used to be...)I have not missed a 2-3/3-2 or 4-5/5-4 shift since eliminating that weight and all the gears are easier.Best part ,it's free!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts