Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok not sure if this is the correct name for the part. But the piece that connects the shift cables to the transmission has gone bad on our car. Anyone have any clue where we can get one without going to the junk yard or replacing the whole transmission? Apparently this is the piece that has been causing the sloppy shifting in our car and not the cables. Any suggestions would help..Thanks!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
My shifter base went bad for different reasons, and the bad news is you have to replace it all, it doesn't come in pieces. I can't recall the price new, it was more than $100, less than $200, but I picked up a used one. I didn't go to junkyard either, but I posted a Want to Buy ad here and had it shipped to door. It just takes a bit longer.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I'm not very car smart..my husband is the one doing everything. When you say replace it all you mean the shift base not the transmission correct?
Posted via FF Mobile

·
slow
1,734 Posts
From what I read in your post, I think you’re talking about the part that is referred to as the “shift tower”. It sounds like you are talking about the linkage assembly that the shift cables would snap to, at the top of the transmission. Is that correct? So you have 2 linkages, the shift counter weight, and other stuff all attached to a plate that will bolt (6 bolts or so) to the top of the transmission. It’s a pretty substantial piece.

You’ll need to confirm what engine you have though, is it an SOHC SPI, or a DOHC Zetec, each uses a different transmission. The SPI uses the iB5 transmission, and the Zetec uses and MTX-75.

You can get this part from ford, if I remember it was $250 or so? I got the part from Tousley Ford, a dealer which supports the focus online community. It will probably be cheaper to find a used one, to the best of my knowledge, all the MTX-75 shift towers are the same.

So, I’m guessing that you’ve decided this is the culprit through some trouble shooting? The linkages would have to be really worn to cause this problem… My advice would be to find a local pick and pull, and take this part out of the junkyard, will probably the cheapest option, as the cost of a used transmission approaches the cost of the new part from ford.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Yeah, just the base. I assume it is an auto, correct? I got a used one for $20 here, and it includes everything including the shifter handle, base, etc. Does NOT include transmission, linkage, etc, that stays on your car.

How did it break? That part of mine seemed pretty solid, and I assume you mean the part where the linkage snaps in.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No its a 5 speed..and its a dohc mtx75. We're not quite sure what happened to it. Changed the clutch and when we drove it for the first time the shifting was horrible. We tried adjusting the shift cables but they were as tight as they were supposed to be. His step father is a mechanic and looked the car over and said it was that part gone bad. So not quite sure what happened. All I know is that its really hard to find the gears and when you're in 1st it looks like you're in 3rd gear. Kinda crazy looking.
Posted via FF Mobile

1 - 6 of 6 Posts