Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
You can get a metal one from focus central I believe. Then you won't have to worry about this problem again.

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
GaryFocus said:
Well, you can get the metal one from ford for 30 or 40 bucks cheaper...
Then go for it I say. By the way, I hope this wasn't meant to be rude, because if it was, totally uncalled for.

·
Mr. Wizard
937 Posts
So I called ford to test Gary's theory, here is the conversation I had.

"Good afternoon, Casco Bay Ford Parts Department this is Terry speaking what can I do for you today?"

"Hi, I'm calling to inquire about a OEM metal shift base for the MTX75 for a 2002 Focus?"

"A metal shift base? I'm not sure I understand you."

"The base of the 5spd shifter, it's plastic, I was told you had a OEM replacement one that is made of metal."

"OK, let me look." Typing heard in the background.

"We have a metal one for the SVT. Do you have an SVT?"

"No, I have a regular focus with a Zetec."

"hmmmm..." More typing heard "Let me see if the service manager knows anything of this."

"ok"

"Sir?"

"Yes"

"We do have a metal shift base for the Zetec focus, it is $145, would you like to put that on order?"

"No thank you, I was just pricing. Thank you for your time."

"Thank you for calling Casco Bay Ford"

Ummm yeah, pretty much.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The 2002 does not have a metal one that you can get. I dont know what your parts guy found. I also just found out that you cannot get this part from ford.

For the 2002.5 and later, Ford completely redid the whole shifter assembly, cables, and the mechanism that connects everything to the transmission. It shifts way smoother than any of the other ones. And if you dont believe me, go test drive a newer focus. It is way better and it is how ford should have designed it in the first place. Also, it the older focus is upgradeable for this. Its about $300 and after driving my friend's 2003 zx3, i think it is worth it. The shifter base is still plastic, but it did not have the breakage problem that the older one had. However, they are planing on developing one of their own out of billet aluminum and bringing the cost down.

Focus Central would not tell me what they got the part from. All they would say is that it was a european part that does not come from a focus. Although shifting feels better, it still feels like crap compared to the 2003. One thing i like about the metal one is that the reverse lockout is made to be removable, whereas on the plastic one, you would have to cut it off. Also, the metal one comes with a nice big "Made in Germany" sticker on it. Cant beat that...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update?

So, now that Focus Central no longer exists, does anyone know where I can find the metal replacement? I just broke my 3rd plastic one and really want to order the metal one.

Thanks
Kyle

·
Super Moderator
9,537 Posts
Revival of an almost 9 year old thread...The plastic is the only one that you can get for a replacement anymore unless someone is selling an old used metal one some where. By the way TerryB the shifters were changed in 2002.5 so that one you posted wouldn't work for the person who reopened this thread.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts