Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all. I am new to the forum and have greatly enjoyed reading and looking at all the information available on the forums. It has already helped me greatly in fixing some issues with my car which I bought used a few weeks ago.

An issue that I'm having currently is that the plastic shifter base on my car came broken. I have a manual with an MTX-75 transmission and the two top sections of the four that hold it together are broken which makes it somewhat of a hassle to shift and, not only that, but I imagine that due to the increased stress that puts on the rest of the shifter it's only a matter of time before it breaks altogether meaning I won't be able to shift the car.

Only place where I could find one was my local Ford/Motorcraft store, and they had 15 in stock in the US warehouse meaning I could order it but I found the price was quite ridiculous at $52 given that it's made out of cheap plastic and they don't have the ones for the Ford Contour or Mercury Cougar because it lists parts for those models as discontinued.

I was wondering if anyone knew where you can find one cheaper or if you could do some modification to make it work because, frankly, $52 is too much for a cheap, brittle piece of plastic that will probably need to be replaced eventually anyway.

Thanks a lot for your time and knowledge!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A discount parts source like Village Ford might help:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81

J/Y or patched together are the other solutions, yours sounds beyond typical patching with sheet metal & screws/rivets.

Thank you for the info! They do, indeed, have a much better price. Only issue I'd have is that they don't ship here for some reason, and even if they did, it'd be prohibitively expensive because they use FedEX instead of USPS. Any other places I should be looking for? Maybe somewhere you can get a metal version instead of plastic or some mod you could do to make it work?

Some pics:

There you can see where it broke off. Thanks a lot for your help!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Just call every junk yard in your area and find an svt shifter base. They are METAL, and will never give you any trouble. After you 'fix' that broken spot, it'll just break else where on it eventually (i went through 3 of them before puting an svt base on). Check with all the guys parting out svts here and on your local craigslist. Metal shifter base will keep you from ever having to look under the shifter boot again! ?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
PS: When switching to a metal svt base, you will notice that you must twist the cable end (that mounts to the bottom of the shift stick) to face it's 'socket' end toward the opposite side of the car from you old base, as our base and the svt's have the 'ball end' at the bottom of the stick facing opposite directions. One faces driver side the other faces passenger side. This is a non issue, but the cable end wants to twist back to it's original position when you let go of it, so just twist the cable end 180 degrees and pop'er right on the 'ball end' at the bottom of the stick. You have to OVER-twist the cable end beyond the position it will sit when mounted on the bottom of the shift stick, so that it doesn't sit all crooked while mounted to the stick. You will notice that even after over-twisting, it won't really 'settle' perfect (it will always be mounted at a slight angle on the ball mount as it wants to twist back to facing the other direction), but mine has never ever popped off, or ever given me any issues in 4 years of aggressive shifting all day everyday. Also, the C-mounts for the 2 cable adjusting 'barrels' are in the same location as the svt, so it is just a good ole' easy swap! :) And don't try to do everything through the little hole. Fight off the laziness and pull the center console plastic out of your way or you will spend 5 times as long trying to do the job through that little hole, and still end up defeated if you don't remove the console trust me lol.

Only other thing I should point out is: if you swap to an svt base, you will no longer have a reverse lockout function, and your stick will not 'spring back' to 'rest' in the middle of the gears when in neutral like it does now. It'll just chill wherever you put it when you pull it out of gear. I promise if you make the switch, it will end any grief those stupid plastic ones bring, and you won't miss the reverse lock out OR the fact that your sticks rests 'wherever' when in neutral. Believe me, there are a million ppl (including myself) who have under taken massive repair methods to the plastic bases using metal strips for bracing, hotglue, jb weld, bolts, you name it. It'll just break an inch from where all your intense bracing and repair job is, and you'll be right back where you started. SVT base is your only friend brotha.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
One more thing: I was told back when I did my metal base conversion that they can also be aquired off of a contour, so if you can find only a contour or mondeo in your area, go check it out and see if it matches. If it matches, boom.... Contours / mondeos may have also been offered in plastic, so just make sure it's a metal one. (It will be blatantly obvious whether it is metal or plastic). The swap took me probably an hour total with removing the center console. It could be done in 10 minutes if you know how to disassemble quickly, but I had no advice ahead of time of the swap procedure, so it took me longer than it should take you since you have the heads up on how to do it. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just call every junk yard in your area and find an svt shifter base. They are METAL, and will never give you any trouble. After you 'fix' that broken spot, it'll just break else where on it eventually (i went through 3 of them before puting an svt base on). Check with all the guys parting out svts here and on your local craigslist. Metal shifter base will keep you from ever having to look under the shifter boot again! ?
Sure will! I called around 15 junkyards some time ago inquiring about the original plastic base for the car. Only two of them had a manual Focus, and in both cases the plastic base was broken. Since the Focus SVT was in production for a decent amount of time and they only came in manual plus with the metal base it should be easier to source one.

PS: When switching to a metal svt base, you will notice that you must twist the cable end (that mounts to the bottom of the shift stick) to face it's 'socket' end toward the opposite side of the car from you old base, as our base and the svt's have the 'ball end' at the bottom of the stick facing opposite directions. One faces driver side the other faces passenger side. This is a non issue, but the cable end wants to twist back to it's original position when you let go of it, so just twist the cable end 180 degrees and pop'er right on the 'ball end' at the bottom of the stick. You have to OVER-twist the cable end beyond the position it will sit when mounted on the bottom of the shift stick, so that it doesn't sit all crooked while mounted to the stick. You will notice that even after over-twisting, it won't really 'settle' perfect (it will always be mounted at a slight angle on the ball mount as it wants to twist back to facing the other direction), but mine has never ever popped off, or ever given me any issues in 4 years of aggressive shifting all day everyday. Also, the C-mounts for the 2 cable adjusting 'barrels' are in the same location as the svt, so it is just a good ole' easy swap! :) And don't try to do everything through the little hole. Fight off the laziness and pull the center console plastic out of your way or you will spend 5 times as long trying to do the job through that little hole, and still end up defeated if you don't remove the console trust me lol.

Only other thing I should point out is: if you swap to an svt base, you will no longer have a reverse lockout function, and your stick will not 'spring back' to 'rest' in the middle of the gears when in neutral like it does now. It'll just chill wherever you put it when you pull it out of gear. I promise if you make the switch, it will end any grief those stupid plastic ones bring, and you won't miss the reverse lock out OR the fact that your sticks rests 'wherever' when in neutral. Believe me, there are a million ppl (including myself) who have under taken massive repair methods to the plastic bases using metal strips for bracing, hotglue, jb weld, bolts, you name it. It'll just break an inch from where all your intense bracing and repair job is, and you'll be right back where you started. SVT base is your only friend brotha.
Thanks a ton for your advice! I really, really appreciate it. It doesn't look like a difficult job; it's just a shifter base after all. I'd rather do this and not have to worry about it breaking again. The reverse lockout is not something I'd worry about honestly. I replaced a Lancer I had with this car and that had no reverse lockout. Manual cars don't let you go into neutral from 5th anyway unless you're purposely trying to so I don't know why Ford decided to do that.

One more thing: I was told back when I did my metal base conversion that they can also be aquired off of a contour, so if you can find only a contour or mondeo in your area, go check it out and see if it matches. If it matches, boom.... Contours / mondeos may have also been offered in plastic, so just make sure it's a metal one. (It will be blatantly obvious whether it is metal or plastic). The swap took me probably an hour total with removing the center console. It could be done in 10 minutes if you know how to disassemble quickly, but I had no advice ahead of time of the swap procedure, so it took me longer than it should take you since you have the heads up on how to do it. :)
I read about this, but it's practically impossible to source. I called many junkyards and most of them didn't have a Contour or a Cougar, and the few that did were all automatic. I'd gone to my local Ford/Motorcraft store but they looked it up in the system and showed me that parts for those models were discontinued. So I think that option is out. The SVT shifter base should be relatively easy to get, though. I'm not paying Ford $52 for the plastic base.

Thank you so, so much for your help! Tomorrow I'm gonna call all the junkyards and see if I can source it. It's horrible having to worry about the shifter base falling apart all the time.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Matter of fact, a guy here in orlando area just sold his wrecked svtf to another central fl. fella, and the new owner is parting it out on cl atm.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Hello, all. I am new to the forum and have greatly enjoyed reading and looking at all the information available on the forums. It has already helped me greatly in fixing some issues with my car which I bought used a few weeks ago.

An issue that I'm having currently is that the plastic shifter base on my car came broken. I have a manual with an MTX-75 transmission and the two top sections of the four that hold it together are broken which makes it somewhat of a hassle to shift and, not only that, but I imagine that due to the increased stress that puts on the rest of the shifter it's only a matter of time before it breaks altogether meaning I won't be able to shift the car.

Only place where I could find one was my local Ford/Motorcraft store, and they had 15 in stock in the US warehouse meaning I could order it but I found the price was quite ridiculous at $52 given that it's made out of cheap plastic and they don't have the ones for the Ford Contour or Mercury Cougar because it lists parts for those models as discontinued.

I was wondering if anyone knew where you can find one cheaper or if you could do some modification to make it work because, frankly, $52 is too much for a cheap, brittle piece of plastic that will probably need to be replaced eventually anyway.

Thanks a lot for your time and knowledge!
Here yall go. This guy in Tampa has one, 'cause he's parting an SVT. Don't know if he'll ship, but hit him up.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/pts/4741453159.html

·
Ph00ked bey0nd belef
6,279 Posts
A quick temp fix cut some. Pieces of angle iron and make a temporary base/brace. I'm using one now until I can get a new one. Works great. If you look through the last few pages of my build thread you should be able to see what my buddy made....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts