Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my shift base ( the black plastic thing that holds the shift bar/knob in place)has been broken for some time... from hard shifting i assume... (ive learned my lesson) and it was just a little harder to get the car in gear but i managed for several months... a couple days ago i finally got the balls to go over and see what it would cost to repair this. well we got to talking and he said it would be 35 dollars for the peice but 250 dollars for the labor... well i thought to myself ..seems a little high.. but i never really looked at the thing to see what it was all about. so i said ok order the part and ill see when i get it.. well turns out i looked around down there and once i got the part was able to install it in a record time of like 25 minutes. THey were going to charge me 250 dollars for a 25 minute job. ford dealerships are full of crap.. and im sold on NOT going there again. but man i love the way it shifts now... nice and clean. short shifter is coming in on monday cant wait for that either.
thought ide share my ford service mayhem with you all... ill be sharing it with THEM too.

·
Registered
951 Posts
What's their reasoning on charging that amount? Did they say it was gonna be a 3-4 hr job. You should report that nonsense to the Better Business Bureau.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep they said it was going to take a good 3 hours...???? took me 25 minutes... dont really understand that but whatever.

·
Registered
20 Posts
DUDE?? Why didnt you get the metal one? Would have solved your problem completely!! U r just going to break the plastic one again.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DUDE... where is the metal one.. haha

*edit* actually... how bout i drive right... ??? if i drive the right way and shift right then why would i have a problem? haha

·
Registered
20 Posts
U can do what u want, but if you start shifting hard a few times for some reason, its gonna break again. The svt and the 2002.5 and 2003 (supposedly) has a metal shifter assembly. They bolt perfectly in place of the plastic one and they are easier to install as well. Also, they come with a "made in germany" sticker on there. Get the american piece of plastic off of there before it breaks again. If you just go to your dealership and tell them to order the shifter assembly from and svt, and DIY. Also, on the metal one, the reverse lockout is removable with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers. Whereas on the plastic one, you would need a dremel to get it off. I dont know the 2003 comes with a metal one. I looked at my friend's 2003 focus and it was plastic. But anyway, there u go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts