Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello new user here but have been snooping for a few months now. I bought my son a 05 zx4 ses with a 2l and manual trans. The transaxle is leaking and I have stripped the engine mount and bracket to access the very top where the shift mechanism goes into the housing. There is a brass plate with 6 bolts holding this in place I think. What would be there leaking( gasket/o-ring/seal???) It seems pretty wet and I would like to fix it while its taken apart. If anyone has any tips on how to remove this that would be great. I think it is a mtx75 transaxle. I have a Chilton book but it is pretty much useless. I am fairly mechanically handy but transaxles are not my thing. Thanks for any help. Also had a bad power seat switch that ford kindly made different then the passenger side. Switch was 75 bucks at dealer so I purchased a passenger side one used and with minor trimming of connector viola seat fixed for 10 bucks. I only wanted to use a passenger one because I think the odds of used ones working is much higher and easier to find at pick n pulls.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to General Tech. Chat as a repair question.

Here's the best thread I know of on the shift tower as it's called:http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304574&highlight=Shift+Tower

Can't remember where the vent is on the MTX75 offhand, have you checked oil level & usual small seepage from that?

Unusual question, that's why I ask. Clean up, check level & watch it would be my first step without history on the car (new to you).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I will check that link out. Going to check fluid and clean it tomorrow I was also thinking it was over full. Thanks for moving this to the proper section.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That link is exactly the parts I am talking about. Thank you. I don't doubt it is a unusual question but this is well beyond seapage. I pressure washed it from the wheel well and then noticed fresh dribble the next day(prob from lots of oily accumulation) so that's why I removed everything to get a better look. It definitely isn't a axle seal and its not coming from where the trans bolts to the engine. It appears to be coming out from under the brass plate but I didn't notice a gasket in the pics of the other post. I sure hope it is just over full and coming out the vent. The whole thing is covered and nothing looks fresher then anything else.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
For leaks in general the problem area isn't always obvious on disassembly, so cleaning & checking before taking it apart is the only way to be sure you're working on the right problem.

Too much work to chance having to do it again.

The link isn't for your specific issue, but it shows more detail of the assembly than anything else that came to mind. First 'leak" question on that area I remember myself.

Luck getting it figured out & fixed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turns out the transaxle is not over full. However while cleaning the area I noticed the oil residue turn red as it dissolved. The trans fluid is gold so now I'm thinking power steering but nothing in that area shows evidence of leakage and all the fluid is from the top of the gold plate down there is nothing on the linkages. I was hoping to resolve this before my son starts driving but I think it will end up going back together as is and tear it apart periodically until I find it. Car has been sitting in my garage for 6 months so its also hard to see fresh wet. To bad its in such a miserable spot to access.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My bad I double checked the transaxle fluid color and it is gold BUT it turns red when spray nine is applied. I bit the bullet and pulled the shift tower cleaned everything and reinstalled with ultra blue for a gasket. Time will tell once the boy starts driving, if it has to come back off its going to be a lot harder next time.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Cross fingers, blue comes apart easier than the sticky black I like if you have to get in there again.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Couple of years later I'm curious if this has held up for you.

I recently noticed a leak at the race track. The trans has been in track-only service for a couple of year running great, but this past weekend I noticed a leak from the shift tower area. Hoping it's just the sealant having gone and not something worse...

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Since the time of this thread (two years ago) I've learned more about the MTX vent on that plate.

On top of that plate there's a small metal vent pipe, flared at the top and covered by a rubber/plastic vent cap so dirt/water can't get in unless submerged.

Inside that opens into an area shielded by a sheet metal baffle to prevent direct oil splash.

I've seen them more recently with the cap missing, or the tube knocked out of it's hole entirely. either way it lets more than the usual light mist over time exit that hole for a small messy leak.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thanks for the info. Mine was missing both the cap and the tube. Really hope the tube didn't drop in and was just missing all along - I didn't inspect this when the trans came back from being rebuilt a couple of years ago, my mistake.

Debating plugging this or buying a new shift tower....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts