Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i do not endorse street racing...

so in the spirit of my first random encounter of another driver who loves to have fun (bmw 3 series, not M, and i repped focus pretty damn good we ran even and i only have a hps intake), ive decided that i would like to know where other people shift.

first gear i tend to get out around 2500-3k
problem here:
second i try to hold longer but the higher it is i get this grinding going into third (only when i try to go fast) so i dont know if im simply rushing the clutch on that gear or if i cant shift over 3k or what

its just that at 3k and under it tends to not hold the power as well as wehn i hold 3rd gear to about 4500 or so to get into 4th

4th to fifth is about the same 4500 or so

yeah so just let me know mainly looking for advice.

also, whats your launch rpm and hints on lauching because i tend to burnout when i try to hard launch.

thanks guys

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
So you always shift under 5k? you should be shifting around 6k...

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
if ur on stock cams and valve train, you should be shifting more towards 6500, maybe more, not to familiar w/ the duras. but it sounds like u are shifting WAYYYYYY too early.

·
Registered
150 Posts
these trannys are very hard to slam into third... no matter what if you are on it really hard these damn ST's wont go into third very well, and if your raceing you should be around 6500...

mason

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yea, I know on my zetec i run it all the way up to 6500 whenever i'm seriously nailing it. the other thing u can try going by is sound. listen to when it sounds like you need to shift, you'll be able to tell!

·
Registered
854 Posts
^^ yep i have to do that since i dont have a tachometer.. lol :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks ill definatel try that... today. haha yeah all of the other gears are pretty smooth though ill just go off listening, but that means no music.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
these trannys are very hard to slam into third... no matter what if you are on it really hard these damn ST's wont go into third very well, and if your raceing you should be around 6500...

mason
Not to pick on Mason, but I see/hear this statement quite frequently.

There is no need to "slam" or speed shift cars.

It's hard on the drivetrain and it doesn't really buy you much. Furthermore, it is more likely that you will damage something.

If you look at professional racers in car camera footage, their shifts are almost lazy.

Just keep that in mind.

BTW You are shifting much too early. 6K or higher, but shy of the redline as torque begins to fall off at that point.

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
Yes indeed from 4000-6000 rpm the duratec feels real strong. When I was at the track, I shifted around 6000 rpm. I did not want to push it to hard, but I am shure if I went to 6500 I would of had better times.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You having ran a 3 Series even ... doesn't say much, there are many 3 Series under the sun from different years. What year was it? What 3-series? Just curious. My best guess is a 325.
The biturbo 335 is a 3 Series as well, I don't think I need to mention what it can do :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts