Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
puddins betch
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to add a nother shift light but i cant find the wire i have to tap into does anyone know what wire it is ??

i have looked in the how-to and saw the write up on removiong the cluster but all the wires were bunched into one plug

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
not really performance related. its more of a Technical Chat related.

anyway, i dont know where the wire will be. but i was trying to do something similar with the alarm light indicator and i could not find anything that could help. so good luck

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
first you need a tach driver that is capable of using the crank sensor, the ford racing tach driver is wonderful and speicicly made by ford. second you will need a shift light that doesn't need "pills" and then you just set it and forget it. unfurtonatly there is no way to do this with out tapping into the crank sensor wires

·
Registered
90 Posts
why in the hell would you want to add a shift light off THAT stock light?? That think comes on WAY WAY WAY before redline at WOT one day and closer to it the next... its on crack and never comes on when it SHOULD for drag racing. Its a freggin dummy light for morons.

Jake

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
mn12bird said:
why in the hell would you want to add a shift light off THAT stock light?? That think comes on WAY WAY WAY before redline at WOT one day and closer to it the next... its on crack and never comes on when it SHOULD for drag racing. Its a freggin dummy light for morons.

Jake
no more talking... the shift light that came with the car is designed for maximum fuel economy...and the focus wasn't designed for racing.

anyways if you hook a adjustable shift light up to the tach driver, you can turn a knob on the back and it will light up when you hit diseired rpms

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a tach driver for sale also...I don't really know if I want to let it go since I'm thinking about adding an aftermarket tach to the car. (easier to see when drag racing if mounted on the dash). But he's right..that light is not a light you want to be running off of..It's a pointless light to have.

Matter of fact, I tried to take that light out like I did in my '03 Focus, but no luck simply because this cluster has LED's in it instead of the removable bulbs like the older clusters did. was great though, didn't have that stupid shift light come on at all..

·
Registered
859 Posts
mn12bird said:

Jake
[screwy] [scratch] [dunno]

·
Registered
478 Posts
The light can be programed thru the ecm to come on at the desired rpm's. If your car is tuned by someone, just request where you want it set at and they can adjust the file.

·
Registered
90 Posts
well EricR I just didn't see the point to adding a big shift light to a Focus. is it a 10 second dragster? I have beat so many Stock Cavis with giant tachs and shift lights then they get laughed at by everyone around. Just wondering why you would want a big shift light PERIOD. let alone one driven off the stock light and thats what it sounded like he was trying to do with the gauge cluster wires.

Jake

·
puddins betch
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
i have it set for a lower RPM now but i need it up where i can see it so it will do some good thats all and i called a dealer they said it was a bus system so there wasnt a wire to tap into

look dantegl36 has a comment w/o bias and under stood what the car was orignaly made for

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes Dantegl36 I know little about engineering because I said the shift light comes on way before redline at WOT and he wanted one for DRAG RACING or so I assume if you want a big shift light. I don't even use the light... I don't have a tach and I can drive it perfectly without either. NOW the fact you say they set the shift light to come on before redline shows concern for allowable tolerances is just retarded. I can understand if it came on a little before redline at WOT... but mine comes on at like 3500 RMP (I'm est as I don't have a tach) and its on the WHOLE time I'm pulling in a gear!!!! Mine might be broken tho but it has always been like that as far back as I can remember. I know the light is there for Dummies hence I called it a DUMMY light. I understand its only there to let ppl know they should be up shifting at a certain point to keep the RPMs down and save fuel. I'm not a [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]g retard. my god damn 1990 Tempo had the same light (and Ford is like "Wow look at this new feature in your Focus, they don't put a tach in... now they have this neat light that comes on when you should shift!" YEs the dealer said that to me!) Anyway I know alot about cars okay. I just think its a waste of time and money to put a gaint shift light in a slow ass Focus when you don't even need the stock one to begin with.

·
Registered
90 Posts
oh I didn't realize you had to go to school to learn things? Did they teach you that Ford/Mazdas new Duratec 4 cylinders where big piles of crap made in Mexico there too? The internals may be shite. the connecting rods I heard for one are garbage. But what good is a motor that makes X amount of power at X amount of RPMs if your telling us we can't rev the motor to that speed? the point of a factory redline is just that. a safty margin. even if it's set slightly lower then the actual motor can handle for saftey reasons. There is a thing called a revlimiter. cuts fuel or spark at X RPM. thats also there for saftey.... and there are no vavle releifs in the pistons? okay so if the timing chain snaps and one or more the the 4 vavles in that cylinder are open at the time... yes the piston is going to become good friends with them. I don't see what any of this has to do with me saying the Shift light is there for the average person to know when its well enought to up shift. isn't that the same thing your saying? Gezz. I know I drive my motor heard... I know most of us probrobly do. its not like I think its good for it. Esp driving it hard when its not up to running tempature... thats horrible. but I probrobly do it too often. I still don't see your point. most of us know our engine isn't the best out there. I mean its no Honda but whatever. Ya know I have learned everything I know about cars myslef. I have taken appart Ford Modular V8s in highschool. I have rebuilt lawnmower engines in high school and from there I was loving cars. you don't have to goto school to understand mechanics. I think its in your or its not to an extent. to look at something and in your mind understand how it works. Just like Computers. I have never gone to school but I have been into them since the DOS days and tought myslef all I needed to know. I still know MORE Then people I know who went to school for 3 years to learn about them! so wow. your so smart buddy. sorry I didn't know as much about endineering as you! I have helped rebuild a FBB and a 5.0. I understand almost everything about an engine from design to how it all works and I learned this stuff because I wanted to NOT from a book. All I ever said was that the shift light was a dummy light and not good for DRAG RACING.... and if the kid wanted a big ass shift light driven off the factory light I assume it was for DRAG RACING otherwise why would he want a big ass light? now whats was wrong or "uneducated" about saying the shift light is a dummy light there for people to know when to upshift for best fuel economy? I dont have a tach and when I drive it the light HARDLY ever ever ever comes on because I'm either pulling in that gear or I have already upshifted at the best time for the amount of throttle I'm using in that gear. hence its a dummy light... you don't ACTUALLY need it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
oh yeah and my friend took the 3 year automotive course, passed with flying colors, then took another few years in diesel tech. he is now a diesel technition works on big rigs makes lots of money. He is a Chevy guy. drove a TPI 350 firebird at the time. great car. he knew everything about that motor. he rebuilt it in his sleep. but ya know what? after all the schooling he still didn't know what an OHC motor was. He didn't know the differance between SOHC or DOHC. why? seems so basic? well mebbe in school they only taught traditional OHV or "pushrod" motors right? okay and he don't give a rats as about Ford or imports/4 cylinders. hes oldschool and a stuborn GM guy. he knows enything and everything about a GM smallblock! But he didn't learn everything in school. and he learned what he wanted. after all that school I still got to explain SOHC and DOHC designs to him. my point? I learned something on my own because I wanted to know all differant kinds of motors and anything I could about cars. he is a kick ass mechanic. worked on a farm his whole life. can fix anything yeah but they don't teach you everything in school I guess. I learned lots of stuff on my own. and from him. but still. I dunno. just beacuse you went to school for something doesnt mean jack. you might know more than someone else, you might not.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
uhhh, this thread was originated by someone who wanted some info on how to hook up his shift light. it wasnt intended for some a**holes to have a pissing contest. niether of your post counts are big enough to have too much respect on these boards. so just shut it.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
that wasnt a power struggle. it was a pissing contest. if you want to do that, call each other, the end result will be a bit more positive. every time the guy looks back at his thread, he has to see all the crap you 2 wrote about engineering and not about a shift light.

Dantegl36, you said it best...."Needless comments, I feel, are unappreciated and show ignorance on the part of the person making them."

1 - 18 of 18 Posts