Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2007 Ford Focus with a 5-speed manual transmission. Is there anyway to turn off the annoying shift light?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dale

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I believe you can with a tune, pull the light out, or put electrical tape on the back of the gauge cluster so the light doesn't show through.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Removal and Installation

NOTE: Prior to removal of the instrument cluster, it is necessary to upload the instrument cluster configuration information to the diagnostic tool. For additional information, refer to Section 418-01.

Depower the supplemental restraint system (SRS). For additional information, refer to Section 501-20B.
Remove the 4 screws and the instrument panel lower panel.
Release the fastener.
Remove the instrument cluster finish panel.
Remove the screw.
Unclip the upper steering column shroud from the lower steering column shroud.
Unclip the instrument cluster finish panel
Disconnect the electrical connector.
Remove the 4 screws and the instrument cluster.
Disconnect the electrical connector.
To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Download the instrument cluster configuration information from the diagnostic tool into the new instrument cluster. For additional information, refer to Section 418-01.

Try it at your own risk if you want i can get you a better diagram of how to remove it if you want but thats all up too you.

·
Registered
384 Posts
LOL or you can just ignore it. I wanted mine gone to at first....Them i realized it was not worth the hassel to bother with it and now i dont even notice it going off down there.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
what he said^^^

·
Registered
593 Posts
I don't know if it's the same on an '07 (didn't even know they were out yet) but on the '00 thru '04 model years I know you can disconnect the left-hand switch on the clutch pedal and it will disable hte light without pulling the cluster. There's a few threads on this. Note however that disconnecting this switch will prevent the PCM from pulling ignition timing while shifting, and a couple guys I know say it hurts fuel economy, but in my personal experience the slight loss in mileage is worth the smoother response in shifts. Look into it if you want. It's free and you don't have to mess with the cluster.

·
Registered
950 Posts
^ um how is shifting improved at all? wouldn't the driver be shifting it in this case? an auto wouldn't require a shift light

·
DTF
3,981 Posts
lol ^^^ i say just dont worry about it till you get a tune then you can have it turned off or set at a different rpm which suits you better.

·
Registered
593 Posts
zal said:
^ um how is shifting improved at all? wouldn't the driver be shifting it in this case? an auto wouldn't require a shift light
Because when you depress the clutch pedal the PCM pulls the ignition timing by around 20 degrees, giving a bit of a "lurch" when the shift is made. Disabling the switch prevents this so you barely feel the transition. I don't feel it at all. And no, this is not the same switch that the starter safety lockout is connected to, so you can't start the car w/o putting the clutch in. An automatic would not require a shift light because it already knows what conditions to shift under. That stupid little upshift lamp is ONLY there to let you know when to shift gears for maximum fuel economy. If you shift by the light you'll be in 5th gear by the time you hit 35 mph.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts