Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://m.ebay.com/itm/321402836824?_mwBanner=1
I'll open with this tidbit. I've owned close to 100 cars, from high power DSMs, to Audis, Porsches, Maseratis to BMWs. You may be wondering why I own a focus. Well I'm far from rich lol that list above was lots of old models, but point is I know a thing or two about vehicle behavior. I love my focus but hate the unsure feedback the shifter gives me.
The common solution is a short shifter but it doesn't exist for the IB5 nor would I bother because I'm going Zetec, but another great solution is a proper shift knob. Heavier knobs are a great cheater for worn cables, bushings and syncros. Many often buy the smallest and lowest fitting knob for looks and that's okay too. But as a track junky, that's a no no. Taller knobs do many things, it puts it closer to the wheel so faster shifts are possible, and offers more shift leverage as feedback.
Now that my lecture is over mine shows up Monday.
I've run lots of torque solution knobs with happy results. This should be a good one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alright, some info ALL SPI guys should know.
Our shifters are NOT 12x1.25 threaded like other Foci, they are 10x1.5.
I know this for sure after trying to thread the above knob on. To my sadness, no... Not even remotely close.
So I took my stock shift knob to the local hardware store, and grabbed a 10x1.5 carriage bolt. Low and behold... It threaded right in perfectly.
So moral of the story SPI guys, don't count on standard ZETEC knobs to fit.
I RMAd this back to AWD Motorsports and will be getting the correct one.

However I checked out the one I received, and it was extremely nice, tall enough, and nice and heavy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update:
New knob shows up Friday.
In the mean time I'm going to fabricate my own shifter extension to raise the knob a little and make it look spiffy. I have access to anodizing as my dad drives truck for a factory that does it and we are all close.
Pics to follow.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I would Like to see it installed once you get the right one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Absolutely will show it off buddy. I'm making the extension tomorrow in my lathe

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lathe work is done as is anodizing. Piece threads onto the stock shifter. Pics installed tomorrow. Sorry for the crappy pic but I'm tired as hell after a 550 mile trip and said oh well haha.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Nice

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks bud! A lot of machining has went into the design of this little piece lol.
Also:
Statutory length is 3.75" for the extension, knob is 4" tall.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks bud! A lot of machining has went into the design of this little piece lol.
Also:
Statutory length is 3.75" for the extension, knob is 4" tall.
their part or yours?

theirs prob takes a min once you hit the cycle start button. [giggle]

I love working with delrin cuts soooo nice, like warm butter.[woot]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No the knob is a a Torque Solutions brand knob. The extension was machined and anodized by me and the extension is 3.75" while the knob is 4" for a statutory 7.75" height.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I'm very happy with it. Definitely much more shifter feedback and much faster transitioning.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now for my review.
The delrin knob is phenomenal. It's in the 30s here and the knob doesn't get cold at all. I know from having the delrin ball knob in my laser it won't get hot either. The knob is tall, heavy enough, and offers a nice feel for aggressive gear rowing.
As for the extension I made.
I made it heavy as possible, and I'm glad I did. It's the perfect height as the knob is pretty symmetrical to the wheel offering a very fast transition. The slop in my shifter is virtually non existent and I can now confidently grab gears at a fast pace. Plus, it does look very showy when installed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks bud! This is my track car/DD project. Getting SVT swapped in a few months :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Looks very nice. I sure do like the look of it.
But taller than was expecting but it does look sweet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you sir!
It ended being about the exact height I wanted, it's perfect for spirited driving.
I sure love the look too :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts