Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is it on an 08 focus ses? It isn't on the right side of gear shifter like it shows in the owner's manual.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I'm not seeing any replies, think you lost all of us with that question.

(not that it's busy here today, still can't think of an "over ride" for the parking brake on a Focus myself)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not seeing any replies, think you lost all of us with that question.

(not that it's busy here today, still can't think of an "over ride" for the parking brake on a Focus myself)
I used the wrong term. I think it's called shift interlock, it prevents you from shifting without applying the brakes. My battery died today but I couldn't move the car in neutral to push it onto the street to jump start it since we have a one lane driveway.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I know some of the earlier ones didn't have a slot in the console, your '08 might be in the same category.

Might need to pull console (or at least part of it) for access.

I'll change the title to help you get more looks.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The brake-shifter interlock override should be near the upper right hand corner of the shifter looking at the manual for the 2008 Focus. It may have a cap covering the hole the key is to be inserted into. See page 159 of the manual listed here for more information: 2008 Focus owners manual.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for changing the title!

It's not on the upper right hand of shifter, even though the manual says it is. Pretty sure it's under the console as Sailor said. Trying to rip it off without cracking it :)

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Look for screws to lift the whole thing (works on MkI's). Might find some hidden behind plastic beauty caps as the rear is on mine.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Ignoring trying to get the shifter to move, you stated your driveway is only 1 car wide, but is there a yard next to it that you would be able to drive the 2nd car onto temporarily in order to jump start the car? (granted I realize you are in Toronto and it may be snow covered)

Also one other option if you have one or have access to one use an automotive battery charger to charge the battery, or if it has the option to put it into a jumpstart mode to jumpstart the car that way.

Either way would eliminate having to get the shifter to move in the move the car you are trying to jumpstart. One other thing if the battery is an older one (original perhaps?) it may just be time to replace it, especially if you found it to be dead when you came out and tried to start it (unless it is discharged due to leaving lights on or something).

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ignoring trying to get the shifter to move, you stated your driveway is only 1 car wide, but is there a yard next to it that you would be able to drive the 2nd car onto temporarily in order to jump start the car? (granted I realize you are in Toronto and it may be snow covered)

Also one other option if you have one or have access to one use an automotive battery charger to charge the battery, or if it has the option to put it into a jumpstart mode to jumpstart the car that way.

Either way would eliminate having to get the shifter to move in the move the car you are trying to jumpstart. One other thing if the battery is an older one (original perhaps?) it may just be time to replace it, especially if you found it to be dead when you came out and tried to start it (unless it is discharged due to leaving lights on or something).
House wall and fence on either side :p It's a new motorcraft battery from Nov 2013 so I'm annoyed that this happened, since the original one lasted 6 yrs. CAA guy tested it with one of those fancy devices and no signs of a weak battery or parasitic drain. The car usually sits for 3-4 days in a row at -20C so hopefully it was just that. But this was the second time it happened this week which leaves me suspicious.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Cold weather can be and is bad on batteries, slows down the chemical reaction within them, can make even good batteries weak, and with marginal/weak/worn batteries can be devastating on them. With weather that cold almost have to run the car for a while everyday to help keep things warm, to keep it on a (trickle) charger to help keep the battery charged, keep the car (in a semi-heated) garaged, or using a battery warmer mat.

Down hear in the Chicago area we generally don't get too overly cold but in the winter of 13-14 we did have some weather that got into the sub -20F range for days at a time and it did cause problems with starting the car, so I just kept the battery charger/starter at the ready in case it was needed, and it was on a couple occasions.

And I hear you on the house being on one side and a fence being on the other, my house is setup the same way, 1 car driveway along the house with a 6 foot fence on part of it but at least it splays out to 2+ cars wide behind the house in front of the garage so got some room to maneuver around, and almost never park in the 1 car wide portion of it (also almost always back in tail first so the front of the car faces towards the street so if needed to be jump started the other car could just pull straight in but also makes pulling out of the driveway easier).

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cold weather can be and is bad on batteries, slows down the chemical reaction within them, can make even good batteries weak, and with marginal/weak/worn batteries can be devastating on them. With weather that cold almost have to run the car for a while everyday to help keep things warm, to keep it on a (trickle) charger to help keep the battery charged, keep the car (in a semi-heated) garaged, or using a battery warmer mat.

Down hear in the Chicago area we generally don't get too overly cold but in the winter of 13-14 we did have some weather that got into the sub -20F range for days at a time and it did cause problems with starting the car, so I just kept the battery charger/starter at the ready in case it was needed, and it was on a couple occasions.

And I hear you on the house being on one side and a fence being on the other, my house is setup the same way, 1 car driveway along the house with a 6 foot fence on part of it but at least it splays out to 2+ cars wide behind the house in front of the garage so got some room to maneuver around, and almost never park in the 1 car wide portion of it (also almost always back in tail first so the front of the car faces towards the street so if needed to be jump started the other car could just pull straight in but also makes pulling out of the driveway easier).
Yea I usually back in too [?|] Think I'll get block heater and a jumper battery for next winter. It's already getting warmer, only -3C today [cheers]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts