Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I took my car to a shop to replace the cables because I just couldnt get then out of the car, and now i looked at the new cables and they are stretched again. I dont want to take my car to the shop again and I really want to just do this myself. Whats the trick to get these cables out through the firewall?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
undo the nuts holding it in and make sure its not hung up on anything and pull.

from what your saying sounds like you are getting new cables when you just need to adjust them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just checked them, they are stretched. But i just made the hole in the firewall a bit bigger to pull the cables through. Now I have to wait 4 days to get the new cables.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
The cables don't "stretch". So I'll second Mike in that you're replacing parts that you don't need to. Adjust the cables correctly instead.

And what is happening that you keep replacing them?
Maybe it's that the shifter base is broken, which is common. Upgrade to the SVT shifter base to fix this problem permanently.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well they are out of the car and they look frayed like the old ones did, apon further inspection, they were installed incorrectly and were rubbing up against either the block or the cat.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
how old are those cables? from what you were saying it was in a shop getting them replaced less then a year ago. that looks like something that would take years to do. the braided steel rusted out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts