Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for some crazy reason when i get shell gas my car seems to run better and how little more power. if i use gas at another station it feels like it doesnt pull as much. so now i use shell gas all the time. is it something they add into it or what have anyone else notice differant gas from differant places making your car work differant??!!!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
what octane do you run it with... i notice a differnce that is why i go to shell... from what i learned in auto shop, the more expensive gas you get 9i.e. shell mobil texaco and 76) the less water they put in the misture, giving you better, smoother compression. that is why they charge a little more than cheaper places (i.e. arco vallero)..that is why i fisure it is worth the extra like 1.20 a tank

·
Registered
163 Posts
Gasoline doesn't come mixed with water. In fact, gasoline won't mix with water at all. The gas, being lighter than water, will separate and float to the top.

UNLESS.... there is an intermediary detergent like ethanol, which dissolves both in gasoline and in water. This is basically what fuel system antifreeze does - dissolves the water into ethanol, which then dissolves into the gasoline, preventing gas line freezing in the winter.

Lazy gas station proprietors sometimes do not properly maintain their tanks, so water condenses and settles to the bottom. If the tank is allowed to be pumped too close to empty, the water can get pumped into a customer's fuel tank, causing severe problems with the fuel system.

Fortunately for Wisconsin residents like me, all gasoline sold in this state is mixed with 10% ethanol, so water in the fuel is not an issue.

Gasoline, from brand to brand, is more alike than different. If your car runs better on Shell, it may be just because that station maintains cleaner storage tanks. Or Shell gas stations where you live are further up the distribution chain. Stations and communities are prioritized by sales volume, location, any number of factors. Some high-volume stations get the freshest and cleanest product from their companies or brokers.

I have not had such good luck with Shell. God help me for buying from the Great Satan, Exxon/Mobil, but my car seems to run really well on Mobil, so that's what I buy. Moreover, a Mobil station is right on my morning commute, and most importantly, they have a really cool and effective brushless car wash with a really good underbody flush. If you don't flush the underbody of your car in Wisconsin at least once a week during winter, the tons of road salt (sometimes the salt cakes on the car so thick you can't tell what color it is) will cause your car to bio-degrade in front of your eyes.

FYI, Ford must do a good job rust protecting the Focus. I see Hondas, Toyotas, Subarus, and GM products with visible rust as early as 3 years. Yet while Madison, Wisconsin is crawling with Ford Focuses (or is it Foci?), I have yet to see one that is a rust bucket - not even one.

So if you live in the Cold North, the Ford Focus holds up very well.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Same here. I go out of my way to put shell in my car. All the other stations in town have a local provider that kinda sucks. I always get better mileage and my car seems less boggy on the shell gas.....and I just run 87 right now.

My dyno was apparently slightly freakish too (for an intake/exhaust d20). I attribute part of that to a day before oil change (mobil 1 5w20) and a full tank of good gas.

I dunno...just my feeling on the subject.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
i remeber reading ina mag that you sould put there gas in your car every so often because of the detergents that they use. it helps your fuel system.

·
Registered
500 Posts
There is a mom and pop station right down from my house that usualy has gas for a few cents cheaper and seems just as good as shells and my car drives perfect with there gas, if I am not around my house I alwasy go to shell seems thats what all me and my friends do.

All the shell stations around here have a sign that says that gaas may contain 10%ethinal havent seen those signs other places.. maybe I just dont look for them....

EDIT:While were on the topic of gas I can go the longest between gas fill ups between all me and my friends. It doesnt hurt me as much when I fill up once or twice a week when I watch my friend with his STI fill up two, three, sometimes more times a week depending on how much we drive. [:p]

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have noticed a pretty big difference between gas companies. Shell and BP feel like they run the best, the car doesn't bog as easily and it has better pick up than speedway or marathon.
I also use V-Power once in a while for the extra detergents.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
I tested all the local fuel brands in Memphis, and found Kroger fuel and Phillips 66 to be the two best I could find here. I totally agree that it has more to do with the condition of the tanks at the individual stations, and I've always encouraged people to experiment until they find the best fuel. Also, some stations can gouge the number of gallons given, and others have bad flow meters which actually give more fuel than is recorded.

I wish I'd ordered Ford's northern rust treatment- I forget the name for it- but there is a metal treatment available for people who live in certain states and Canada. I'm not 100% positive, but I'm fairly sure that this is what it is= Metal Shield If you check the Testimonial pages, you'll see who uses that product, and what for since it has so many uses. One day it will grace the underside of my roof and floor for sound deadening and thermal transfer.

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
Chevron with Techron, and in my area, some stations use 10% ethanoyl mix.......which gives more power.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Its the v-power yo, you can get like 20hp outtaa that jank

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
the shell station newar my house turns into the Fast and Furious convention, every friday and sat night. Crotch rockets, modded cars and sluts galore....its so pathetic, lol.

They seem to have been keeping their prices lower than others, though...and my car seems to like it. Vpowah is about 2.99 for 91 Oct (highest you will find here in CO) whereas Conoco is like 3.09 for 91.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I wish I'd ordered Ford's northern rust treatment- I forget the name for it- but there is a metal treatment available for people who live in certain states and Canada. I'm not 100% positive, but I'm fairly sure that this is what it is= Metal Shield If you check the Testimonial pages, you'll see who uses that product, and what for since it has so many uses. One day it will grace the underside of my roof and floor for sound deadening and thermal transfer.
Yup! I paid the extra bucks for the treatment before delivery of the new car. I have viewed most such "treatments" with suspicion, as a way for the dealer to pack his profit margin, but I questioned the dealer in detail on exactly what they do and it is far more than just spraying tar crap onto the bottom of the car. And according to what I read, the treatment actually does some good. So I bought it.

Cars are better protected at the factory level against rust than ever before, primarily because of better paints, self-sealing primers and the increased use of double-sided galvanized steel. But Ford seems to be a mixed bag as far as rust-resistance is concerned. As I said in another post, I have never seen a rusty Ford Focus; yet, there are so many Tauruses out here with advanced leprosy, like so many biodegradable rolling sleds, it was enough to give me pause. Since the last Ford I owned was a 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 XL coupe (I still kick myself for ever selling it [?|] ), I felt nervous enough that I wanted to provide every edge for my new Focus right from the beginning.

My previous two cars, both VWs, an '89 Golf GTI and a '99 Jetta GLI, when new both dripped this oozy waxy crap from their drain holes and other places when left in the hot summer sun. Apparently, this "cavity wax" as VW called it, is applied at the factory. It is a wax/foam that is injected into the body cavities before final baking of the painted car body. The baking causes the wax to melt and coat every inside surface - the inner doors, the inside of the trunk lid, the rocker panels, etc. It is self-sealing; if something gouges the coating somehow, it seals it within minutes. I owned my late and lamented '89 GTI for 10 years (until some stupid lady, while trying to run a yellow light and failing to see me stopped for a left turn, rear-ended my beloved VeeWee at about 60 mph, totalling the GTI and nearly totalling yours truly) and over 120,000 miles and until the day it died (was murdered), it was rust-free, depite not being garaged during most of that time. In Wisconsin, that is a special accomplishment. That is why, after I got out of the hospital, I took my insurance settlement and bought another new VW, despite the fact that though that GTI had been a joy to drive, it wasn't exactly the Maytag appliance that is my wife's Toyota Corolla.

From what the dealer described, part of this after-market treatment involved this same type of self-sealing cavity wax that VW/Audi uses as a factory process (Perhaps these unseen and unsung extras are part of the reason VWs have been more expensive than most cars in their class.). Since my VWs stood up so well over time, I thought I would take a chance with this aftermarket process on my Focus.

I'll tell you in 10 years how well it worked! [:D]

·
Registered
859 Posts
eazyrider_tim said:
Chevron with Techron, and in my area, some stations use 10% ethanoyl mix.......which gives more power.
Umm, I thought alcohol had less energy per gallon than gasoline. Wouldn't the 10% mix result in less power?

·
Registered
93 Posts
bonejob, did you buy a focus because they don't make A2 gti/gli's anymore like i did? i am also primarily a vw guy (84 gti, 86 gli, 81 scirocco S) but they just don't make anything i really want/can afford anymore. so, a german designed car built in mexico sounded pretty good to me.

lucas.

·
Registered
409 Posts
EricR said:
Umm, I thought alcohol had less energy per gallon than gasoline. Wouldn't the 10% mix result in less power?
Less energy, but higher octane. There is a slight MPG drop, but normally you can use a more agressive timing strategy = more power.

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
..:: sleestak ::.. said:
the shell station newar my house turns into the Fast and Furious convention, every friday and sat night. Crotch rockets, modded cars and sluts galore....its so pathetic, lol.

They seem to have been keeping their prices lower than others, though...and my car seems to like it. Vpowah is about 2.99 for 91 Oct (highest you will find here in CO) whereas Conoco is like 3.09 for 91.

There should be a law against Conoco charging 10¢ more for their watered down gas than other stations. You might as well be buying that 82 octane Mexican fuel.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts