Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I now have the provisions to build myself a sheet metal intake manifold but was wondering if someone who has one or has made their own could give me some dimensions for a starting point. Basically, I need length, width, and height. Thanks, appreciate the help!!

Any pics of home-made ones would be killer and a huuuuge help!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Are you sure we're talking about an intake manifold, here?

If so, I have one from a '00 ZX3 at home that I can measure for you. It's off the car and would be no trouble at all.

If you'd like me to re-create it in AutoCAD, PM me and we can talk about pricing for that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow, that's quite the undertaking! Best of luck to you, for sure. I have no experience with anything like what you linked, but I can still offer up the flange measurements if you'd like.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anything you have would be of help!! Thanks!! I'm planning on keeping their ovaled section square to make things a bit easier for the moment, but it still will be a decently technical build. The thing I was considering was to keep the TB on top like the factory position, or mount it on the side like CFM's design.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Make sure you know what you're doing. I go to school for cars and i'm getting my associates in High Performance. Right now im in the Hi-Po fuel,ignition and induction class. Where we test these types of things on flow benches and dyno's. Get a book that can help you with this, there is alot of complex math problems and such that can give you a MUCH better understanding on what to do. Also, putting that on a stock motor will probably hurt performance, that stuff is designed to work with cams, long tube exhaust setup, Port Polish ETC.....

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I thinks it's SolidWorks you can do this with. I know there is a design/modeling program out there where you can draw up a design and test it with in the program, flow properties with current lines and such. Then you can adjust runner cross sections, lengths, etc by simple clicks and it can overlay the results. Far as I had heard you could also model an existing engine design and put your product on that engine and run it and it would show gains. No it's not a desktop dyno thing either, way way way better.

But I would say to stay with a tubular design, in the 8" to 11" (high rpm, about 6,000 or better is where it would really shine, longer runner = lower rpm range) range for runner length from the back of the intake valve, keep bends to a minimum but keep the entry angle to the head about the same, a small plenum is all you really need (simply to hold a nice set of radius'd runners/bell mouths).
The larger the plenum volume the less affect throttle body placement will have. So this is one thing I would definitely play with in the programs.

Far as any other dimensions you need go, it will depend on your intentions with the car, if you wish it to fit somewhat like stock or if you are moving some things around.

lol, I post then randomly think of the program, Pro-E I believe it actually is.

·
The Godfather
4,405 Posts
Karl at Massive would have the insight you wish for, he has played around with this and had mockups, including on on mine;

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Good luck, thats a pretty hardcore undertaking...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, goat roper, I can't see your pic though...

And SolidWorks is the design program allowing flow properties to be shown. I have a preliminary design to finish today and then I will probably 3D model it tonight. I appreciate the extra info, that was super helpful!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts