Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday my car stalled at a stop light, but i started it up again and it ran fine all day. Today i go to drive her and nothing. The starter is going pretty fast but nothing from the engine. The previous owner replaced the fuel pump. Does anyone have a suggestion? Can your fuel pump go twice? it's in my driveway right now and i want to avoid having it towed to a shop.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If the started is turning faster than normal it could be u have worn out some of the teeth on the the flywheel or low compression. u need 5 things 2 start your car. 1. air 2. fuel 3. compression 4. spark 5. computer inputs sensor etc. U probably need special tool or traing to figure this stuff out so all i can suggest is take it to a garage.

Yes a fuel pump can go bad if it is improperly installed. 2 simple things u can check, 1. turn the key on not start or have a friend do it and listen at the back of the car for a buzz or noise like power windows make this would be fuel pump priming if not it is bad. 2. check the button on the divers side kick panel that has a pic of a fuel pump on it pop the little cover off and push down on the button inside then try to start it, its a fuel cut off switch thats cuts fuel normally only goes off if the car is hit or bumped but it is worth a try. if the switch was the problem it will click and take a little cranking to get it going.

I hope this long explaination will help u in some way. Good luck!!

·
Registered
25,620 Posts
Yes, it ( fuel pump ) can go twice. Check to see if you hear the fuel pump cycle on when you turn the key!! Also, you can check the fuel pumnp pressure at the test port on the end of the fuel rail..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help. I tried listening for the fuel pump and didn't hear it. Honestly though, I don't ever remember hearing the fuel pump on my focus. I remember hearing it on my old ranger though. Is it audible from the drivers seat of our cars?

·
Registered
25,620 Posts
Yes, you can hear it, but the older ranger is loud as crap though. I have one. The focus you need it to be quiet, but you should hear it. If not, check the relay.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
If the starter sounds like its turning faster than normal, its possible that the solenoid that kicks the gear into alignment with the flywheel is shot, which would explain the faster spinning (there's no resistance if its not engaged with the fly.)

Get someone to crank the engine while you watch under the hood...see if the belt is turning. You don't want to be looking at the fuel pump if the starter is shot.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it was raining—Ill check it tomarrow. also the recall sheet I have says 'inline fuel pump'. Does that mean that it's not in the tank? that would make me feel alot better about this whole thing

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the starter is spinning normaly. what I meant was that I know it's not the starter or battery

1 - 9 of 9 Posts