Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when you remove the side moldings, what holds them on? i know they use double sided tape
but is there holes in the doors or is it smooth.

·
Registered
251 Posts
MeteorFlower said:
http://focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85377

Its smooth. They're just held on with double sided tape.
I wish this was true but from other posts i've read some years seem to be held on by double sided tape and aligning prongs. Does aanyone know what years this refers to? Or pictures of the in process removing of the moldings, not just the finished job(i've seen those pics). Also how many holes are left in the door after you have removed the moldings?

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
IMO, when the side moldings are taken off a focus, it looks like crap. i could see on that mazda 3, where the door was not molded. The focus just looks weird when those are taken off. thats just me though.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well I wasn't really asking if you liked it....I personally like the way the car looks with them removed. I just wanted to know if I would have exposed holes in my door after removing them since I don't quite have a TIG welder to patch up the holes with right now.

M

·
0 Posts
I'll go back through my catalog and see which ones do. What year do you have?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have an 03 ZX3...and thnx for looking this up.

M

·
0 Posts
n/p. And its just tape on the 03...as with all the years of Focus...according to the Ford Parts Catalog at least...

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
well let us know if he is right I am thinking about taking mine off too

·
Registered
251 Posts
elliottcarlose said:
well let us know if he is right I am thinking about taking mine off too
Well i'm probably not going to be removing them for a couple more weeks till' I have the money for bodywork just in case it turns out to really have holes on the doors. Since I refuse to drive around with exposed holes in my doors, last thing I want is my car to look like the ricer crap running around town with some half-a$$ed body work done to it.

M

·
0 Posts
mine are awaiting the Az sun to kick in more...its been cloudy the last couple days...but they'll probably come off this week or this weekend

·
Registered
370 Posts
i have an 2001 and i have tape and holes i have those aligning prongs. so just to let you know.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Focusracing said:
i have an 2001 and i have tape and holes i have those aligning prongs. so just to let you know.
Thnx for the heads up.....I'm hoping mine doesn't have the holes, but with my luck I should know better then to say that..lol.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well tried taking them off and it seems that I need to wait for a sunnier day since I don't have a heat gun.....I didn't make enough progress to learn if my car's molding has any surprises like aligning prongs, but we'll learn soon enough.

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
how about an 02 ZX3....
id like to take those things off....

·
Banned
503 Posts
u dont need a heat gun...as long as ur good with a flat head screw driver, peel part of it part so u can see the tape...and stick the driver right into the tape and push it all the way in, but try to keep it againest the molding so u dont take paint off lol...once u get one of the ends starting to peel back, it comes off really easy. dont worry tho, the moldings are pretty flexible and if they get curled...let them sit and they should reset flat by themselves...

·
Banned
503 Posts
forgot to mention, the moldings help add strength to the doors, once u take them off ull notice the doors feel much more flimsey or how ever u spell it lol, basiclly they feel like aluminum foil in places lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts