Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
74,000 2011 SEL

Was just wondering what ideas you all had on this subject...

Shakes at idle (I believe this is a separate issue) has been doing that for a while.

Shakes around 60+ So bad that I had to turn around 100 miles into a trip today.

The shaking comes from the steering wheel but also looks to be shaking the whole car.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Sounds like you need a new passenger side motor mount! Had to replace it in my '09 and my sister's '05 as well. Highly recommend getting a Ford/Motorcraft one as others don't last very long. You can find them for around $100 at Tasca Auto Parts. That should resolve the idle and vibrating in the cabin.

As far as the shaking at 60+ that could very well be an off-balance wheel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you need a new passenger side motor mount! Had to replace it in my '09 and my sister's '05 as well. Highly recommend getting a Ford/Motorcraft one as others don't last very long. You can find them for around $100 at Tasca Auto Parts. That should resolve the idle and vibrating in the cabin.

As far as the shaking at 60+ that could very well be an off-balance wheel.
How mandatory is the motor mount if that is the problem with the idling issue? I just got the wheel rack and pinion replaced and that burnt a pretty big hole in my pocket lol.

That's what I was hoping it would be for the 60+ I'm going to give it a try at least. Only put 11,000 miles on my car since I bought it and have never had that done.

I was told by firestone that I would need shocks and struts soon. Would those relate to the idling issues? I've only read opposing opinions on that topic.

·
Registered
739 Posts
How mandatory is the motor mount if that is the problem with the idling issue? I just got the wheel rack and pinion replaced and that burnt a pretty big hole in my pocket lol.

That's what I was hoping it would be for the 60+ I'm going to give it a try at least.

I was told by firestone that I would need shocks and struts soon would those relate to the idling issues I've only read opposing opinions on that topic.
It's not essential that you replace the motor mount right now. I've never heard of those mounts breaking in half, just losing their ability to dampen vibrations. Shocks and struts wouldn't have anything to do with idling and shouldn't cause shaking problems at high speeds. The only thing worn out shocks and struts will do is make your car feel a bit more "bouncy" and it may decrease your ability to stop quickly.

By the way, how many miles are on your car?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not essential that you replace the motor mount right now. I've never heard of those mounts breaking in half, just losing their ability to dampen vibrations. Shocks and struts wouldn't have anything to do with idling and shouldn't cause shaking problems at high speeds. The only thing worn out shocks and struts will do is make your car feel a bit more "bouncy" and it may decrease your ability to stop quickly.

By the way, how many miles are on your car?
Sorry that was probably one of the most important details I should of listed lol.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Sorry that was probably one of the most important details I should of listed lol.
Yeah the idling vibration is definitely your mount if it's never been replaced. I had vibrations at 60k with my '09 that were cleared up with a new mount.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^ Great advice.

Look to the wheels/tires/ balancing first for the major issue, bad shocks/struts won't help dampen vibes from the wheels making the problem worse but they aren't the cause.

Passenger side mount is the most common cause of vibes not related to moving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got my tires balanced. 3 were around 1.5, .5. I was told that was very off balance.

I only was able to get up to 70 briefly a few times on the way back home there was still some vibration but I don't believe like it was before. I'll probably take it out on the highway for about 20 minutes and see what's up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts