Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for input here my 07 has 100k on it I've had the tires re balanced 3 times then I found a bend on the inside of one wheel so I moved it to the back car still shakes is it just the one wheel or are my struts going bad

·
Super Moderator
9,559 Posts
Moved to "Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis". You will more likely find better answers to your questions here than you would in the MK1 Focus section.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
At 100,000 you can be sure the stock shocks/struts are getting worn, and they do help quell vibrations from tire/balance issues.

Particular tires can have issues that balancing can't fix, you didn't happen to mention if yours are new or well worn.

Anything loose in the suspension just makes it worse of course.

Sometimes you can tell which wheel is a problem, for example if your steering shakes there's a vibration at the front - swap one side front to rear & the vibration is still apparent but the wheel doesn't shake the tire/wheel you moved to the rear is the problem.

If one tire takes a LOT of weight to balance that one is suspect for causing problems. Had one new one like that on mine when I got it, soon sounded like a bad wheel bearing but I couldn't find a problem there - moved to the back the problem disappeared proving the tire was at fault.

Luck

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My one wheel that is bent pretty well I think it's making the car shake. But I just picked up a set of mustang 10 hole wheels that are just about perfect I've seen some pics of other foci with them like the look

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
would be easy to test. put your spare on in place of the one wheel. if the shaking stops, problem found.

·
Fear the TurboSnail!
6,625 Posts
Could be warped tires. I've had that before.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've thought about warped tires also, I think I'll get these mustang wheels all pretty and try them out or unmount my winter tires and use my steel wheels instead I know they are straight. One place wanted 85 dollars to fix my bent wheel does anybody think that is a fair price?

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
Fixing a wheel isn't super simple, they have to unmount the tire (usually around $15) then heat the bend and take some time getting it round again on a fancy machine. Wheel Medic near me charges $115 for the service. Which at the cost of an OEM 15 or 16" wheel, you are better off just buying a used or reconditioned one

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I appreciate the info rambleon wheel straightening is one process I've never seen done before

1 - 9 of 9 Posts