Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a bad engine shake less than a year ago. Went to the dealer and they changed 3 mounts (2 engine, 1 trans I think). That was the ticket.

Now less than a year later the shake came back. Brought it back to the dealer since it was less than a year and under 12,000 miles. They again replaced the trans mount after seeing that it was broken. Unfortunatly it didn't fix the problem, but seemed to even it out. Before then the shake would get progressively less pronounced. Now it just seems to be a constant buzz. My hands and butt get a numb feeling, just like driving a ride on lawn mower.

Went back again and they checked the other mounts and they said they looked fine. Maybe its the trans or catalytic converter. I could bring it back when the right tech is there and he could try driving it around for awhile an see if he could track down the problem.

I don't know what direction to take from here. I feel that the driving to diagnose could end up a black hole and may not provide any answers to what is wrong.

Car is a 2002 SE with a zetec and auto trans.

Help!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
If the dealer checking this for free? If so I would bring it back and let their tech figure it out and keep bugging your service advisor until its done but don't let them throw parts at the problem at your cost. I would also suggest they check the passenger side (liquid filled) mount. Its also possible they didn't properly re seat the engine or used the wrong torque specs so you might ask them to check this too.

·
Registered
438 Posts
It is sometimes hard to diagnose a bad motor mount, especially if they have already replaced one, trans mount. This tightens up the motor just enough to make everything seem ok.
I would bet one of the other two is on it's way out. It's good practice to replace all three at once.
Keep trying the dealership as long as it's under warranty, but if they won't do anymore for you, these are a relative simple thing to replace yourself.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They looked at the other mounts and said they were fine. Could anything else cause a shake. I also think i hear a louder exhaust note up front. Yesterday nite the engine seemed to settle down alot to where the shake was almost not noticable.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No luck. Shake is back and as bad as before. I feel as if i should tell Ford I'll pay to have the 2 other mounts installed but if the shake goes away it's on them.

·
Registered
497 Posts
No luck. Shake is back and as bad as before. I feel as if i should tell Ford I'll pay to have the 2 other mounts installed but if the shake goes away it's on them.
Nonsense. Don't ever tell a dealer what to replace. It removes all accountability from their repair. You want your shake fixed regardless of what is the actual causal part.

Your diagnostic fee puts the accountability into their hands. If you authorize a repair - it is with the understanding that what they suggest you authorize will actually resolve your concern. If they make an unsuccessful repair attempt - it is THEIR problem, not yours. Why would you pay them for a diagnostic if their diagnostic is a crap shoot?

Let them replace whatever they suggest is necessary to resolve your vibration. Pay ONLY for what actually fixed it. If they want to chuck parts at your car, THEY are responsible for the cost of those parts not needed.

In their defense, vibration issues such as this are difficult to diagnose. But, the dealer has vibration tools to determine what is causing the vibration, they can loosen, tighten and reposition mounts to see if the concern goes away - they should have all they need to figure it out. If not, your problem isn't a vehicle that can't be diagnosed. Your problem is a dealer that doesn't know the proper way to diagnose the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
And further, the primary culprit in most cases, the right hand side liquid filled motor mount, can't be determined to be bad JUST by a visual check....

MOST who replace it can't see it's bad B4 it falls apart when they remove it....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your diagnostic fee puts the accountability into their hands.
I didn't pay a diagnostic fee. It is warranty work on the 3 mounts they replaced almost a year ago. They said the trans mount was bad so they put in a new one for free. I pointed out that the shake was still apparent so they checked the other two and said they looked fine. I don't know what pressure i can put on them to find what the cause of the shake is without paying for them to find it. they'll just fall back on the tech saying he didn't see anything wrong with the parts that are covered under the original repair.

I still think its a mount. on a left hand turn the car smooths out, on a right hand turn i gets worse. but what do i know other than it all comes down to money.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Once in a while, we have someone who has luck "diagnosing" a bad mount by levering the engine at an idle & making the vibration & noise change in that way, thereby proving the problem area...

If pushing forwards or backwards on the RIGHT side of the engine changes the vibration, it's the fluid filled mount on that side...

Likewise, if you can see appreciable movement of the engine when a gear is engaged, or the clutch is partially engaged at a stop (need an assistant for these checks..) - then you know something is "a bit loose"...

FWIW - these checks help SOME diagnose a mount problem....

Luck!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm now getting a leaky water pump fixed so i asked the garage to check the vibration. He put a jack under the right side of the engine, gave it a little lift and the vibration went away. Looks like the it might be the isolation dampener which was oneof the parts Ford replaced and I assume one of the ones they said were fine.

When i called Ford service they of course said they would look at it and see whats up. My problem is it is now a month past the 12 month warranty so the service manager would have to make the call on if they will honor the warranty even thought i had it there twice while it was still covered. You can see where this is going.

If the isolater is the culprit, what recourse do i have to recoup my money? The one that came with the car lasted 8 years. The replacent lasted 10 months. Is this what i sould expect from genuine Ford parts?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
To check the passenger motor mount which is liquid filled do this:
See the black plastic cap on the thing. Grab a hold of it and try to move it up or down by even a fraction of an inch. Underneath the black plastic cap is a 'bubble' filled with hydraulic fluid which will push up on the black plastic cap. If the fluid leaks out then the cap can be moved up and down by a fraction of an inch.

Be aware if you went over a speed bump or a pot hole too fast then there goes one of more of your motor mounts. If your transmission mount went, then I would not be surprised if your other mounts went as well

I have no idea how to check the dogbone mount

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm now getting a leaky water pump fixed so i asked the garage to check the vibration. He put a jack under the right side of the engine, gave it a little lift and the vibration went away. Looks like the it might be the isolation dampener which was oneof the parts Ford replaced and I assume one of the ones they said were fine.

When i called Ford service they of course said they would look at it and see whats up. My problem is it is now a month past the 12 month warranty so the service manager would have to make the call on if they will honor the warranty even thought i had it there twice while it was still covered. You can see where this is going.

If the isolater is the culprit, what recourse do i have to recoup my money? The one that came with the car lasted 8 years. The replacent lasted 10 months. Is this what i sould expect from genuine Ford parts?
If you complained of a vibration that is caused by a bad replacement mount that is less than 1 year old....they make an unsucessful repair.....but by the time they actually DO identify the problematic mount it's after 12 months - the repair is STILL covered under service part warranty. The issue is if you procrastinated - it's your problem. If it was a matter of the dealer not being able to make an appointment until after the 12 months there shouldn't be an issue. But if "I was busy" or "I was out of town" or "I wanted a second opinion" are the excuses for your time issue...... It's frankly not their problem. You may have a life but you also have a responsiblity to protect yourself as a consumer. Nobody is out to flat rip you off but why would I as a dealership vouch for a procrastinating customer when I ask Ford to pay for the new mount?

"Yeah Ford, I know he should have come in immediately after he realized the repair was unsuccessful.......but he was busy".. Yeah. Right.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did go back after i realized the repair didn't work. The second time they looked at it they said they saw nothing wrong. And it was still under the warranty at that time. Funny when it was my dime they changed 3 things. When it was theirs, they repaired only one thing and said everything else was fine.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well got my car back from the local shop and guess what? Replacing the upper passenger side mount got rid of the vibration. Funny how the repair tech at ford didn't diagnose it. Guess he gave it a "good lookin' over" but didn't go any further. I have the part and want to take it to Ford to show them. The bottom rubber is seperated from the metal and there is liquid leaking out. No way this should happen in under a year. Hopefully they will be big enough to admit they were wrong and reimburse me for the repair. If not I'll pull out the big guns (wife) and let them deal with her. [rant][boxface][bash]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts