Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done their own alignment before? I know most of the FF members just buy a lifetime alingment at their local tire shop, but I like knowing how to do things myself and Im a cheap bastard. The idea of forking over 75 bucks for some idoit to adjust my alignment just doesnt sit well with me. I like doing it so I have it set up the way I like it.

So who knows how to do it? What tips and tricks have you found? Is it worth the hassle?

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
we just did Matt's (mellephants) a week or so ago, followed the method outlined here

http://www.scoobymods.com/howto_4_wheel_alignment-t7388.html?

Go to lowe's they have a good ruler for it

http://www.lowes.com/pd_186495-56005-300%252F1_0_?newSearch=true&catalogId=10051&productId=1053217&Ntt=ruler&N=0&langId=-1&y=0&x=0&storeId=10151&Ntk=i_products&ddkey=http:CategoryDisplay

and get yourself some fishing line, we used 5 or 8lb its nice and thin

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10340026

You want front toe 0 or for autocross maybe 1/32" per side out, and rear toe 1/16" in or less per side, I would shoot for 1/32" per side personally.

oh and youre going to need the front and rear track widths, you wouldnt believe how long it took me to find this

1494mm f 1486mm r
58.819in f 58.504in r

so basically if you have the front of the string 2" away from the front center cap, you need the rear of the string just inside of the 2 and 10/64" line

we dont have camber or caster adjust, so youre basically paying some monkey $70 to set your toe, which you can do in an hour or less with this method. Thats like paying yourself $70/hour [read]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you sir! Thats what Im getting at, paying a non high school grad to adjust toe on our cars is pointless. Im going to work on this sunday. I may even do a nice how to to share the knoweldge with everyone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So reading the how to posted, I understand now what to do. But how do you adjust the toe on a focus? I probaly can figure it out, but thought Id ask.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
front, loosen the lock nuts and spin the tie rods into and out of the tie rod ends

rear, the center bolts of the LCA's have an eccentric cam, so when you spin the bolt is changes toe (and camber a little bit). Just make sure you hold the bolt still when you tighten it.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
ours is SO much easier than that guy makes it seem, I hope you make your how-to as simple as it can be, nice and short and sweet. I'd make a howto but i dont really have the patience for it anymore.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
thats 8mm total so 4mm per side

... come to think of it that seems like a lot. 1/32 is .03125 1/64 is .015625 so using inches I just put them so the string was just less than 2-1/64" in the rear and right on 2" in the front to get .01 per side.

A tiny bit of cross-toe wont hurt that much.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
OH CRAP

ok so, my unit conversion screwed up some how??? Now I need to go double check those values. check for edits up there.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
alright, the ones in mm are quoted in many places so... the edit i have up there now is correct, and we need to re-do Matt's ASAP. lol

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
that scooby how too seems quite accurate, but overly complicated.
i set my toe using toe plates like these http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/trackside-tools/suspension-tools/toe-plates but mine were home made.

To keep things centred on only make symetrical adjustment (same on each side) so assuming that my alignmnet was even to begin with(no pull to 1 side, steering wheel straight, no thrust angle) equal changes to boths side should end up even and symetrical in the end.

use toe plate and hook up tape measures.

i put the car on ramps cuz the tires need to be on the ground, but i still wanted to be able to get under the car and make adjustments. measure the difference between the 2 toe plates and presto, theres your toe. adjust as needed.

I've probably saved like 400$ in the last year by doing my own alignemnets ,cuz i play aroun with my suspension alot. However this winter, i did go pay for 1 alignemt just to get everything centred again

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
yeah thats the thing about the scooby method it will for sure make you on center (and you dont have to use all that wood, lol)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I tryed this out today and success! I got rid of the left hand pull. It took me awhile to get a few things figured out. I was planing on doing a write up but think I'll wait until I do this a few more times to make sure I know what Im doing.

Thanks for the help illinpio

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Everyone hold on I need to confirm the measurements with illinipo. I the inches and mm measurements are the same and I need to confirm which one is the correct one.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts