Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to sound strange but what do I do if I want to change the texture of my dashboard? I had an idea earlier when I looked at the inside of an old focus and it would be kind of cool, to me, if I could have the dashboard be like a type of rubber. I know that's weird, but it would be kinda neat. I can't think of anything I've ever seen that you can lay over a dash to give it a different texture except vinyl. My second question is how good is the vinyl overlay stuff and do they have anything that has a special texture? Maybe there is another material out there besides vinyl and that is not leather that could be used to wrap some of the dash parts in? I wouldn't want to get the pre cut things because they seem like they could have some flaws in them. Also, I don't want it to look cheap or tacky, does it? Oh, and the last thing, will the texture of the dash in and 05 + even allow you to put an overlay on it since it has those stupid bumps in it? Maybe I could convert to the old focus interior. lol. I know that's a lot, but that's why you guys are cool. Ty, SPACE.

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
^^^teh? what about taht?

suede does sound great, but cleaning it would be a PITA

could have it Linex'd it will be rubbery. you would have to have it completely out of the car though.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol, i'll have to go to a fabric store or something now...

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I keep thinking about how when I was still majoring in industrial design they'd make us search for new materials and stuff to use in things. Looks like i'm going to have to do some research! But for now, i'm going to go take a shower.

·
Registered
108 Posts
id really like to wrap my dash in sued or something like the rally cars are
YYEEESS!

metoo, i cant stand it everytime the sun is high and the dash reflects of the windows or at night everytime i pass a streetlamp the red glares inside the car.
so frikin annoying

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, this came back up today. I never have gotten far with this but has it been done? I really like the idea. I hate the bumps and stuff. I think it's doable. I just need some proof.

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
Sand your dash down to remove the texture, then paint it with a flat paint. Wrapping it would be nice as well

·
Registered
386 Posts
^^^ sounds like a good idea, makes logical sense.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sand your dash down to remove the texture, then paint it with a flat paint. Wrapping it would be nice as well
To get it really smooth, you could skim coat it with Bondo Glazing & Spot Putty first, then sand it with extra fine grit sand paper (600 or greater), prime, then paint it with a flat paint. You wouldn't have to spend as much time sanding, I don't think.

For extra protection you could find a Satin or Matte clear coat - I think Krylon, RustOleum, and Sherwin Williams all make one. If those end up too shiny for your tastes you can knock down the glow by wet sanding with 600 or 1000 grit sandpaper again. You'll still have the protection of a clear coat but not a shine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wouldnt put glazing putty on the dash. The dash can flex with the heat and cold and th eglazing putty wont stand up to that. So it would start to crack and fail.

Google Palsti Dip, Plasti Dip is a thick rubber coating for coating handles of tools and stuff. If I remember right they make a brushable version of their product to. Because its super thick it would fill the grain in the dash, be felxible to expand and contract with the dash, and also level out when appiled.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
674 Posts
If you want to do it a little different than the norm. Do a google search for some vinyl with patterns on it. I have seen it with an ostritch texture that isnt really smooth and some texture to it. they make alot of different patterns on the vinyl now that isnt nearly as expensive as the real thing. The main thing is if you do decide to go with a type of vinyl, make sure its a 4 way stretch vinyl! Its specificaly designed for the automotic industry because it will stretch around all the contours of a dash. A heat gun is also very usefull as well because it make the vinyl plyable. Then theres painting that was also mentioned or you can even cover it with CF material. It would be more expensive and shouldnt be attepmted by someone that hasnt worked with CF before. But any shop that does could easily do it for you!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I wouldnt put glazing putty on the dash. The dash can flex with the heat and cold and th eglazing putty wont stand up to that. So it would start to crack and fail.
Oh, good point. I'm used to working on Hot Wheels and models, which even in plastic parts don't have as much flex as a full-size car. I googled Plasti Dip, just because I'm curious by nature, and it apparently comes in an aersol spray version, too. Do you know how sandable the stuff is?

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
Look up "Dash flocking;" that's what the rally cars have done to their interiors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oh, good point. I'm used to working on Hot Wheels and models, which even in plastic parts don't have as much flex as a full-size car. I googled Plasti Dip, just because I'm curious by nature, and it apparently comes in an aersol spray version, too. Do you know how sandable the stuff is?
its not, its pretty much liquid rubber.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts