Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, under the class action I would get zero because I only had 2 clutches replaced. Got in touch with lemonauto.com and got $1,500 which I think is better than nothing. Took less than 6 weeks. I still think the whole trans debacle is a shame for Ford. They really messed things up for future loyalty.

·
Registered
78 Posts
With Ford's recent DCT warranty extension, I followed the procedures in the letter; I just went to the dealer with my receipts and got a full refund in the mail 5 days.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Any idea if they are going to cover the 2016 Ford Focus. It’s at 60k right now and I just had to get the seal shaft fixed and a new clutch pack, thank god it was under warranty.

·
So mote be it
8,889 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2014 SE, build date 06/14, with 30K miles. The trans has been exhibiting the 'shudder' and other odd shift issues for over 6mos now. When I read the info on the Ford owners site, it appears that I can get this trans repaired under the extended warranty. So I called my dealer to get the this done. They said per Fords process, I have to bring the car in for diagnosis first, and the first appt. I can get is 5/04!!! She'll still be under warranty, but damn, that's a long time out for a diagnosis appt. I asked what would I do if the trans fails before then, and was told that I could have the car towed in. And then what, it sits there until 5/04 when they can look at the trans? Oh well, she's usable for now and the extended warranty should be good for me until 2021 ...

ACE

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a 2014 SE, build date 06/14, with 30K miles. The trans has been exhibiting the 'shudder' and other odd shift issues for over 6mos now. When I read the info on the Ford owners site, it appears that I can get this trans repaired under the extended warranty. So I called my dealer to get the this done. They said per Fords process, I have to bring the car in for diagnosis first, and the first appt. I can get is 5/04!!! She'll still be under warranty, but damn, that's a long time out for a diagnosis appt. I asked what would I do if the trans fails before then, and was told that I could have the car towed in. And then what, it sits there until 5/04 when they can look at the trans? Oh well, she's usable for now and the extended warranty should be good for me until 2021 ...

ACE
5/04? Is that April 5th or May 4th or something else? That's a crazy long time to wait. I thought that the extended warranty was good until Feb 2020.

·
Registered
499 Posts

ACE
I would check with other dealers if you have options in your area. That said, if your vehicle is towed in, my guess is that they would move it up to the top of the list so you aren't without a vehicle for an extended period of time. You may also get them to bump you up if the problem gets severe, especially if you state that it is becoming a safety concern (hint, hint). The separate diagnosis/repair appointments are pretty standard practice in my experience. I guess I was fortunate that once they had parts in stock, I didn't have to wait long for an appointment and they were able to just keep the car for another day to do the repair work.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had mine fixed once under the original warranty and once where I paid out of pocket (for which I was later reimbursed when they extended the warranty) and i didn't have to wait more than a few days in either case. It was finished in one day on both cases.
I would check with another dealer...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thx folks. It appears I spoke too soon. The dealer called today, said they had a cancellation, and can fit me in next week, 1/15. So I won't need to express concern about safety to get in sooner, although there have been times where she didn't downshift, or shifted slowly, and getting out of the way in time was dicey. The diagnosis will be interesting as sometimes she drives just fine, I think the clutch pack contamination is in the early stage. The shudder when warm and leaving a stop is noticeable even to my friends riding along.

Yes, the initial appt. was for May 4th, 5/04/20. From USA Today (FWIW):
Ford said it would extend the warranty to seven years and 100,000 miles on "clutch and related materials" for 2014-16 Focus and 2014-15 Fiesta vehicles. In 2014, it extended the warranty on previous model year Fiestas and Focuses.

So 7 yrs to me is 2021, but it depends on how I do the math.
Addition:
14 + 7 = 21, 2021
Counting months/years:
6/14, 6/15, 6/16, 6/17, 6/18, 6/19, 6/20 = 7, 2020
Counting year to year:
6/14 - 6/15, 6/15 - 6/16, 6/16 - 6/17, 6/17 - 6/18, 6/18 - 6/19, 6/19 - 6/20, 6/20 - 6/21 = 7, 2021

Math is not my strong suit, so I don't which way to look at this :D. Naturally, I want the extension to go to 2021.

ACE

·
Registered
7 Posts
Update. Took my Focus to the dealer Wed morning. They checked her out and agreed that the transmission had a problem. They put in a new clutch pack, covered by Ford, and she was ready the next day. I told them to do the 30K service, so did not pick her up until yesterday. She runs/shifts smoothly again, and I now have an additional 2 yrs warranty on this transmission service. No drama and I'm happy with the car again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Update. Took my Focus to the dealer Wed morning. They checked her out and agreed that the transmission had a problem. They put in a new clutch pack, covered by Ford, and she was ready the next day. I told them to do the 30K service, so did not pick her up until yesterday. She runs/shifts smoothly again, and I now have an additional 2 yrs warranty on this transmission service. No drama and I'm happy with the car again.
If it was covered by Ford, I do believe you only have a 12/12 warr for the clutch only.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thx folks. It appears I spoke too soon. The dealer called today, said they had a cancellation, and can fit me in next week, 1/15. So I won't need to express concern about safety to get in sooner, although there have been times where she didn't downshift, or shifted slowly, and getting out of the way in time was dicey. The diagnosis will be interesting as sometimes she drives just fine, I think the clutch pack contamination is in the early stage. The shudder when warm and leaving a stop is noticeable even to my friends riding along.

Ford said it would extend the warranty to seven years and 100,000 miles on "clutch and related materials" for 2014-16 Focus and 2014-15 Fiesta vehicles. In 2014, it extended the warranty on previous model year Fiestas and Focuses.

Addition:
14 + 7 = 21, 2021
Counting months/years:
Counting year to year:
6/14 - 6/15, 6/15 - 6/16, 6/16 - 6/17, 6/17 - 6/18, 6/18 - 6/19, 6/19 - 6/20, 6/20 - 6/21 = 7, 2021

Math is not my strong suit, so I don't which way to look at this :D. Naturally, I want the extension

Addition:
14 + 7 = 21, 2021
Counting months/years:
Counting year to year:

Math is not my strong suit, so I don't which way to look at this :D. Naturally, I want the extension to go to 2021.

ACE
7 Years OR 100k, whichever comes First.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What did they do for a 30K serv?

·
Registered
499 Posts
You might want to check on that "additional 2 years warranty". When I had one of my three clutch pack replacements under the 14M01 warranty extension, I asked what would happen after the last one failed again and they said that warranty repairs paid for by Ford only get an additional year on parts and labor. On the other hand, if I was out of warranty and paying for the new clutch myself, I would get another 2 years. Just want to make sure you don't get burned because if they told you something wrong and you don't have it in writing, you're still out of luck. So, if I were you, I would get clarification in writing AND, put a date on your calendar a month before it expires and have the clutch evaluated on that date to see if it needs to be done again. Rinse and repeat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You might want to check on that "additional 2 years warranty". When I had one of my three clutch pack replacements under the 14M01 warranty extension, I asked what would happen after the last one failed again and they said that warranty repairs paid for by Ford only get an additional year on parts and labor. On the other hand, if I was out of warranty and paying for the new clutch myself, I would get another 2 years. Just want to make sure you don't get burned because if they told you something wrong and you don't have it in writing, you're still out of luck. So, if I were you, I would get clarification in writing AND, put a date on your calendar a month before it expires and have the clutch evaluated on that date to see if it needs to be done again. Rinse and repeat.
That is right. Serv Part Warr is only 12 months or 12k miles, whichever occurs first. Customer Pay is 2 years and unlimited miles. As for rinse and repeat, they still would need to submit the "reading" they record to Ford that shows it meats the criteria for replacement, Plus there is a Cap on how many times it can be done.

·
Registered
499 Posts
That is right. Serv Part Warr is only 12 months or 12k miles, whichever occurs first. Customer Pay is 2 years and unlimited miles. As for rinse and repeat, they still would need to submit the "reading" they record to Ford that shows it meats the criteria for replacement, Plus there is a Cap on how many times it can be done.
Yes, I assumed it was a given that it needed to fail the slip test to justify replacement. The dealer never mentioned any limit so that is news to me. In my case, mine started slipping again just beyond the 1-year limit and I was out of warranty. I had been running Tom's tune about halfway into the last replacement which helped but it definitely wasn't perfect so ultimately I swapped it for a MTX75 transmission with parts costing less than half of what it would have been to get the clutchpack replaced on the DPS6.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good grief, too much to have to keep up with :LOL:. I was going by what the svc mgr stated, but he could be wrong. In any case, it was ~25K before the issue 1st showed up, I hope to get at least that much again. This is just an 'around town' car & I only put about 6K miles on a year (job real close to home & about to retire ...).

@Irish ... did you post a thread detailing your xmission swap? I'd be interested to read such, just in case ...

ACE

·
Registered
499 Posts
Carl,

During the process, I put some photos of my swap here but I was greatly helped by what was already in this MK3 manual transmission swap thread which I also added to in order to show some of the previously undocumented wiring changes required if you keep the engine wiring harness from the auto. All came out great and after installing/programming the manual PCM, everything works except traction control which I don't really care about so I haven't bothered chasing that one down.

If you are contemplating such a swap, start doing your homework by using the swap thread linked above to get a really good idea on what parts are needed. Then, go to car-part.com and see what is available in your area. In my case, there were plenty of low-mileage used transmissions to be found within driving distance and once I found one, I was fortunate that it was at a salvage yard with a very cooperative guy that gave me an unbeatable package deal on just about all of the other parts that I needed to complete the job (including all the interior trim stuff and all the mechanicals/brackets right down to the nut and bolt - that stuff gets expensive if you buy it new). I went in with the goal of just getting the high-dollar parts from the salvage yard but ended up getting everything I needed. Of course it makes sense to bolt on a new clutch kit and axle seals as part of the work so even under the best circumstances, you'll buying a few parts. Took about 20 hours to do the work with no major hiccups along the way.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I originally posted about my settlement with Ford. This settlement has nothing to do with any warranty. It was a settlement for getting a bad transmission. I had 2 clutch replacements and have 80 thousand and now out of any warranty other than the TCM, 10-100 still covered. Ford paid me 1,500 dollars to settle any claim I might have had like under the class action. I urge anyone out of warranty to file a claim and see if they can get a settlement. This tread changed to warranty issues. Oh well. Good to have discussions anyway we can get them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts