Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to buy a new guage cluster with a tach, and I've read that "any ford dealer can set the milage right" but I've called 3 local dealers and they are saying that they can not do it because it is illegal. Now how could it be illegal if it's being set to the correct miles?

how/where else could I get these set?

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
I don't believe any of them will set it for you UNLESS your old gauge set is required to be replaced under warranty and I think they have to send it away to have that done. Basically your SOL when it comes to this..... find one that is close and that'll be the way it is.

·
Registered
759 Posts
If we could reset our mileage I'd be selling my focus in five years with 100 miles...[rolleyes] . Maybe talk to the DMV or something...

·
Registered
459 Posts
haha
Let me know if you find out how....
I'm interested.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I don't know about other states but in OH with a title transfer it doesn't matter what is on the odo as long as you indicate the true mileage on the title when transferring. I swapped my cluster with one with 7153 less miles on it so all I have to do is add 7153 to the odo and report that on the title when/if I get rid of it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have swapped clusters as well. The Ford dealers will only correct your milage if you purchase a NEW cluster from them ($300...cough). They send them out to be reprogrammed. There are speedo shops around that WILL do the job, so long as proper documentation is provided to them, but they all want $150-200 to do the job. So my car now has 20,000 some-odd less miles on it than it had. Apparently the mileage is also stored on the PCM as well as the cluster and will throw up a code (presumably in the odo test mode) to let techs know what the true milage is. Since we don't know what all the codes mean in test mode it doesn't do us any good. Poop on Ford for this incredibly stupid scenario, why can't the cluster just update from the PCM?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I thought the law states that if the cluster is changed (say if it's broken or something) a sticker must be placed on the door telling the difference. I thought I read this was a federal law.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think the laws vary by state. I know some states do not have to have a mileage disclosure for resale.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts