Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
37.2 MPG! Before this last Sunday my personal best was 33 MPG. I shattered that record with a whopping 37! I didn't ever get that kind of milage when my car was bone stock. Just another stick in the pile of proof that mods don't equal bad gas milage.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Ive seen upper 30's with Waynes highway tune.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
wow my best was 35mpg but that was with my old motor my new one get terrible milage. I normally get between 25 to 27 I used to get 27mpg driving pretty hard on the gas pedal if you know what i mean. Now I get 25 driving the same way. Between the two motors I can deffinattly tell that the cam timming was diffrent between the two. Hopefully my cam gears I ordered will bump my milage up. My old motor had a distinct power band 3k to 51/2k my new used motor pulls at 3k drops off till about 4- 41/2 k and pulls to 5 1/2 very wierd feeling like it has 2 power peaks compared to my old motors one power peak. And has long has you don't have to add more gas to a motor then mods will boost milage its putting your foot into it that makes the milage go down. Thats why when people hop up there cars they get worst milage becaus they punch it more to feel the newfound power. All mods do are make a motor more effecient

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
how worn are your tires? I've done the calculations, and if your tires are down around 4/32nds or less, your mpg calculations are definitely off because the overall circumference of your tires is different enough to cause the odometer to read wrong on long trips. for example...it's only about 170 miles from my house to where my fiancee was going to school last year, but before I replaced my tires, my odometer would read nearly 190 miles for that trip!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These tires are almost brand new. They have less than 1,000 miles on them. Maybe just over 1,000 after this trip.

crazymechanic said:
how worn are your tires? I've done the calculations, and if your tires are down around 4/32nds or less, your mpg calculations are definitely off because the overall circumference of your tires is different enough to cause the odometer to read wrong on long trips. for example...it's only about 170 miles from my house to where my fiancee was going to school last year, but before I replaced my tires, my odometer would read nearly 190 miles for that trip!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I did drive like a granny [:)] I tried some tactics for getting good gas milage I had read about. One that's really hard to do is not accelerate up hills. There were a few hills I slowed down to 55 in a 70 zone trying not to accelerate up. I play little mind games with myself on long drives [:)]

*EDIT* yeesh, I sounded inbread in this post before I fixed it. It might still sound that way [:)] Ohhhh the power of proof reading.

sleepyboy said:
whoa I just notice you have stage 2 cams wow that is a amazing feat. But I would bet that you had to drive like miss daisy to get that milage lol

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
That is very good...... I didn't ever hit anything close to that for mileage, especially with the mods I had and you got alot more then I did.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
The best I've ever gotten was on a trip to the Wisconsin Dells at the end of last Summer. On the way there it was just me in the car and two of us on the way back. Windows down, no A/C on...just a steady 80mph with the cruise on and I managed to scrape up 36.3 mpg...and I have an ATX. Since then, I've gotten anywhere from 25-30 on average.

**EDIT** Happy 550th post to me....yay, now I'm officially a "Focus Addict" **EDIT**

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Very nice. Driving style does alot. I have got 33 on the highway, but usually get 3-4 MPG LESS than my wife, driving the same car.

·
Registered
226 Posts
hmm...yeah ever since i took off the res. my mileage has jumped up about 3-4 mpg better on average. thats with d!cking around and mainly town driving

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Every car my wife and I drive I always get better milage her old 00' VW golf VR6 she used to get 14 mpg she would never use 5th gear I drive it and I mean drive [driving] I got 27mpg. Her car she has now 96' Infiniti I30 19mpg I drive it and like I said before really drive kinda not too hard since it is the family car but I get 23mpg. My car well she hates my focus so I don't let her drive it that and she does'nt want to drive it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
lol yeah hear that. college starts for me in less than a month so you never know...i might be posting something in 2 months about a gf or something with her getting better mileage then me!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts