Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:
The Focus is at 32k miles, and our factory warranty runs out in a month. I did all of the fluids and filters for the 30k mile service, but I was thinking of taking it to the dealer to have them do all of the inspection items, so they could catch something before the warranty is out (or give me grounds for grievance if they don't). Specifically:

Inspect and lubricate all non-sealed steering linkage,ball joints,suspension joints,half and drive-shafts and u-joints
Inspect brake pads/shoes/rotors/drums, brake lines and hoses, and parking brake system
Inspect complete exhaust system and heat shields
Inspect engine cooling system and hoses
Perform multi-point inspection

Can anyone give me an idea of what the labor time will be for these items, so I can have an idea of what's reasonable? The other problem is, of course, that they could tell me they did these and didn't find anything, and I would have no idea of verifying that they actually checked.

Thanks!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
Hi all:
The Focus is at 32k miles, and our factory warranty runs out in a month. I did all of the fluids and filters for the 30k mile service, but I was thinking of taking it to the dealer to have them do all of the inspection items, so they could catch something before the warranty is out (or give me grounds for grievance if they don't). Specifically:

Inspect and lubricate all non-sealed steering linkage,ball joints,suspension joints,half and drive-shafts and u-joints
Inspect brake pads/shoes/rotors/drums, brake lines and hoses, and parking brake system
Inspect complete exhaust system and heat shields
Inspect engine cooling system and hoses
Perform multi-point inspection

Can anyone give me an idea of what the labor time will be for these items, so I can have an idea of what's reasonable? The other problem is, of course, that they could tell me they did these and didn't find anything, and I would have no idea of verifying that they actually checked.

Thanks!
Welcome to FF.

If you go strictly by "book time" then the cost of the service will run you approximately $200 (based on my experience), because the dealership will charge you time to inspect the items on the list.

However, as long as you take the vehicle to an ASE certified shop, most places will do the inspection for a minimal (read here free) charge.

If you do that, then your warranty will remain intact. It is a federally backed warranty and the dealership would have ZERO grounds to deny you warranty coverage.

Shop around for a shop and save a few bucks. [thumb]

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You make a good point. This work is probably a good way for me to try out a new shop and get a feel for the way they do business. The only reason I thought to do it at the dealer was so they could immediately swap a part out if they found something questionable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts