Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have a 2000 Ford Focus Zetec DOHC. All is fine with my car except for the serpentine belt tensioner. In one year I broke three tensioner. I need know if any body here have the same problem or my engine have some poblem or is the Pep Boys tensioner bad quality and I need buy a original Ford Part.
I change the original factory tensioner because broke the ball bering at 77,000k mile. I bought a Peb Boys replacement and it only lasted three months, the tension was broke in two pieces, I place another Pep Boys tensioner and about nine months broke in the same form. What is the problem???[mecry] I have fear to drive long distance and return in the top of flat bed. Somebody can help me [mecry][mecry]

·
Minty!
6,610 Posts
sorry to hear about that. the tensioners are very common to go bad. i don't know if you bought the brand new, but i never heard of them snapping in two. the only thing i could think of is your belt is too tight, but that's controlled by the tensioner.. odd, very odd indeed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok guys, Thanks for your help.
This is the tensioner broken, the other part and belt are missing in the road.
The tree tensioner are broke in the same form and in the same place. I do not know why, but is very peculiar.It is what i desire to know why and correct the defect. Or to eliminate serpentine and to use a individual belt system if is possible.
Any idea or advise.
Thanks

·
Registered
18,476 Posts
I'm running rebuilt tensioner made from that exact design. They last forever. I'd be looking at belt length issues, if belt was changed at the start of all that breakage and was slightly too long or short (mainly long IIRC) the tensioner can hit the stop repeatedly to break after starting a crack first. That is one of the stiffer spring models I like to rebuild, but the stiffer spring would aggravate the potential problem I just described. The tensioner must not hit or even come close to any stops through its' entire range of movement while in use if the right length belt is picked.

If I had you close I'd buy that broken one for $5. Spare parts, mon..........

·
Premium Member
21,259 Posts
Try getting a belt made by a different manufacturer, and also check your belt routing. IDK about the Zetec, but on one of my old vehicles the belt could be routed 2 different ways- one way left slack, and the other way didn't.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm working on a 2002 SE wagon, 2.0L DOHC Zetec with A/C. Definitely routed correctly. Problem began with a shop putting on a serpentine belt that was WAY too short (Dayco 5070665 at 77.56"). How they muscled it on there is beyond me. Needless to say, it completely mangled the factory tensioner assembly. Replaced assembly with above mentioned Dayco, and a MasterPro K060837 belt that's 84.242". Since then, 2 Dayco assemblies have broken, just as pictured above. Have now ordered a Gates assembly. The belt and all the other pulleys are in great shape. So you think the belt may be too long? Anyone know the exact length needed and/or brand/part number? Thanks for any help...this is past frustrating.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hello,
I replaced mine with that same one, Had 1 year warranty broke at just over 1 year. Mine broke on the back. I was lucky it broke 1 block from home. I replaced with it Motorcraft. The Motorcraft felt much stronger than the Dayco,With the Motorcraft I had a hard time getting it to retract enough to fit the belt on but did it. So far it works well, Some times the Motorcraft part is the best, but they do cost more, But your time is money. Hope you find out your trouble GOOD LUCK!!
Thanks, 2003ZTS [loveff][ffrocks]

·
Registered
18,476 Posts
Look close at the tensioner, better ones will have a range marker that shows in proper range when right belt length is used. I found more than one catalog wrong once when searching for a Contour zetec E belt that should have been same length as Focus belt. Everybody kept giving a belt very close to right but not right. Didn't get right part until bought for a Focus instead of Contour, perfect then. Apparently several very close lengths right around the one we need.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I got that same tensioner with 30k miles on it, so far so good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Got the Gates tensioner on & replaced the belt. Cranked the car, loud clacking intermittently at idle, then no sound when engine was revved. So, going on info from amc49, I'm assuming that the belt is too long. So I took the MasterPro belt back, we measured it against another MasterPro in stock (same part #), & there was at least 1/2" difference!! Got the shorter belt, put it on, and so far so good. : ) Thanks all for your input!!

·
Registered
18,476 Posts
Helpful to check belt itself against the outer sleeve before leaving the store. I got dopey people interchanging belts and sleeves all the time. Often the belt itself is stamped with number, obviously it should match the sleeve. Of course the belt may be mis-stamped, seen that before too.

·
Registered
18,476 Posts
They certainly don't pay any more overseas to make 'em than they do here, I'd be pissed off too. It shows in the quality of rebuilds too, I found so many brand new rejects out of the box it wasn't funny. So-called lifetime warranty parts, what a joke.....................

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In the Ford service and parts Department told me that tensiones replacements sold in Pep Boys are made in Tiwan and are not durable, the best advice is to use AC Delco or Motorcraft or Dayco parts. Dayco tensioner worked me very well until today, but also i bought the original tensioner too if the Dayco breaks. Dayco is the closest to the original Ford parts according to the dealer. The tensioner in the pictuere is a Pep Boy remplacement.

·
Registered
18,476 Posts
Not normal for me, but I wouldn't give 2 cents for a Ford tensioner unless they have totally redesigned them. Take one apart as I have and you'll know why. They have absolutely the flimsiest antifriction bushing insert in the business, maybe .020" thick. They have been so skimpy on material that it routinely slips out of place to seize up between the outer case and the working arm. Once it's worn through (or cut up because it slid out of place) the tensioner quickly locks up since running aluminum on aluminum to gall up. The pivot point deflects too much and too quickly from very little wear too. The spring is weak. I've had them lock up solid in less than 6 months before and I drive sedately and just like the old man I am. After two less than stellar performances from them in a row I went elsewhere.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does anyone has a definite solution to this problem?
I'm sick and tired of replacing mine. it doesn't matter if the part comes from advance auto or Auto zone.
they snap like that one and I even had one bend like taffy, yes it got bent somehow.

any help is appreciated

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
At this moment I using a genuine tensor Mortorcraft has worked well and I hope that I will not break, because already there are four tensors which has broken in a year. In the Ford dealer they tell me that these Focus were manufactured in Canada and in the United States, that there is a difference when you go to buy parts. It is important to use the pin number of the car to be able to buy the correct part. For example, the serpentine belt are different although we see them equal, there is a difference in his long we do not see to be observed with the view, but that may cause the tensioner to operate too loose or too tight. I have researched and if it is true. Not all serpentine belt are equal as it varies brand in brand even if your number says that it is correct, so it is best to use genuine parts with the pin number of the car to purchase the correct part. I hope this helps you like it has helped to me..

1 - 20 of 71 Posts